steering wheel removal

xrtech12

Oct 4, 2010
Burbank, CA
very new to this,

i have an nrg hub and a new steering wheel, need to know how to remove the old dinosaur out on my mkiii, help please

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Remove the 2 screws on the side to remove the horn button and then iirc it's a 19 mm but could be a 17 mm loosen the nut but don't take off all the way and f,ing pull and shake. Some come off easier than others.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
Step by step instructions from AllData:

1. Disable airbag system, refer to Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming.
2. On models equipped with airbag, pull wheel pad out from steering wheel and disconnect airbag connector. When removing wheel pad, take care not to pull airbag wire harness. When storing wheel pad, keep upper surface of the pad facing upward. Never disassemble wheel pad.
3. On all models, remove steering wheel pad.
4. Place alignment marks on steering wheel and mainshaft for assembly reference.
5. Remove nut attaching steering wheel to steering shaft.
6. Using a suitable puller, remove steering wheel.
7. Reverse procedure to install. Rearm airbag system, refer to Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming.

If you have an airbag:
1. Turn ignition "OFF" and disconnect battery ground cable. Wait at least 20 seconds to begin work.
2. Never use a back-up power source from outside vehicle.
3. When storing airbag assembly, keep upper surface of airbag assembly facing upward.
4. All airbag components are marked with warning stickers. Always follow instructions printed on stickers.
5. When working around airbag sensors, it may be necessary to remove sensors to prevent electrical shocks that may occur when work is being performed.
6. All airbag system wiring and connectors are encased in yellow.
7. To arm airbag system, proceed as follows:
(a) Turn ignition switch to "LOCK" position.
(b) Reconnect battery ground cable.
(c) Wait at least 10 seconds before turning the ignition switch from "LOCK" position.

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

FYI: AllData is a massive database used by dealers and shops as their instructions for doing just about anything to just about any car. This is make and model specific, and I chose a 1990 Turbo as our "dumby car". Hope this helps!

---------- Post added at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Also, airbags can be seriously fucking dangerous. If you've got one, don't cut corners!

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Thanks for the posts guys, I've been meaning to put an old Nardi wheel on my car for ages, but haven't bothered to get the hub yet... I'll bookmark this one to reference when I finally do. Tried removing it once before, but looking above, I was going about it a totally wrong way (thought the horn pad was like my Nardi and just pulled off, oops).

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the pre 89 and 89 steering wheels have reuglar phillips head screws, just unscrew those, unplug the cruise control, and the holding nut is right there, but on 90+ wheels use a "security star" screw driver, and unscrew the 4 from the sides, then it pulls off..

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Im installing a nardi wheel on mine I got for a really good price could not pass it up. Have a NRG short Hub adapter. I have the wheel off but wondering if I have to by pass the air bag sensor or are you supposed to remove the whole assemble(anything in yellow)?

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
mumupu6y.jpg
waiting on my horn button to ship in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk