Steering Wheel Removal With AIRBAG

Qnzfinestplaya

Supra Heaven
Nov 4, 2006
Queens Ny
hey guys, I did search, but I'm trying to remove my steering wheel, when i searched it said that there are 3 screws holding the airbag down from behind the wheel, I checked i dont have any screws, I cannot see how to remove the airbag from the body of the wheel.

there are 4 tiny holes that i cannot see into to tell if there are screws or not but its too small for even my smallest screwdriver to fit into

can anyone guide me in the right direction
i have a 1990

lowbudgettarga

supra and I - Broke
Apr 2, 2005
Bellingham, WA
warning - I've been drinkin - typing isn't the greatest

on both sides of the steering wheel on the bak therer are little cover plates, one around the turn signal stalk and the other just there. Take those off. behind them are 2 screws on each side, they have torx bit heads, I think they are t-30, possible t-35 but pretty sure t-30. take those out and the center will pull off. Then you can unscrew the hub just like on any other year mkIII supra, take off the center bolt (19mm I think) then remove. I do it by releasing the lock for the teloscoping wheel and pushing it in then yanking back as hard as possible then repeating until it pops off and I hit myself in the face with the wheel. Hope that helps.

I did a pretty damn good job typing that.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
good info, did you come up with the removal technique while drinking? itd hurt less that way.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
for your own safty make shure as hell you know what you are doing. that thing is a bomb. it can go off when the car is off and the battery is unplugged. dont try to remove it while sitting infront of the wheel(drivers seat). be careful.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
you should let the car ssit for 24 hours with the battery disconnected to disarm the airbag. Unless these have the marked harness that you can disconnect under the dash. I dont know for sure as mine has no airbags. Leave battery off when connecting it though as it could go off then as well.

lowbudgettarga

supra and I - Broke
Apr 2, 2005
Bellingham, WA
Ckanderson said:
uh yea. removing an airbag is kinda dangerous if you dont know what your doing.
I know youre a mod and HAD a supra, maybe you neve took the wheel off. four torx bolts, then if you wanna take the air bag off the wheel it's just 1 (ONE!!!) plug with a safety clip on it. Flip the safety part, unplug the clip, then the airbag is done. it will not got off. If it does toyota owes you some money. or at least someone does, there are laws about airbags that go off when they aren't supposed too. Unless someone or their close relative or friend has popped themselves in the face with an airbag and can personally tell me how much it hurt, I don't wanna hear anyone saying don't take it off if you don't know what you're doing. Common sense is you're friend. unplug the battery, wait a few minutes for the memory to run out (what is it, 5 minutes? why work so fast anyhow?), move youre head when yanking the wheel off, or be smart like xrated89 and leave the nut on the end of the threads (obviously people learn from their mistakes, I've done this 3 times, but I like to hear about people smashing themselves in the face!). Be careful with the collar thing that is all spun around the column (the instruction are written on it for re-installation in case it comes off and makes a mess) because it takes a bit to get it wrapped around the colum the right amount of times. i don't mean to be an ass, but the airbag wheel isn't a big deal to take apart. at all.

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
lowbudgettarga said:
I know youre a mod and HAD a supra, maybe you neve took the wheel off. four torx bolts, then if you wanna take the air bag off the wheel it's just 1 (ONE!!!) plug with a safety clip on it. Flip the safety part, unplug the clip, then the airbag is done. it will not got off. If it does toyota owes you some money. or at least someone does, there are laws about airbags that go off when they aren't supposed too. Unless someone or their close relative or friend has popped themselves in the face with an airbag and can personally tell me how much it hurt, I don't wanna hear anyone saying don't take it off if you don't know what you're doing. Common sense is you're friend. unplug the battery, wait a few minutes for the memory to run out (what is it, 5 minutes? why work so fast anyhow?), move youre head when yanking the wheel off, or be smart like xrated89 and leave the nut on the end of the threads (obviously people learn from their mistakes, I've done this 3 times, but I like to hear about people smashing themselves in the face!). Be careful with the collar thing that is all spun around the column (the instruction are written on it for re-installation in case it comes off and makes a mess) because it takes a bit to get it wrapped around the colum the right amount of times. i don't mean to be an ass, but the airbag wheel isn't a big deal to take apart. at all.

He is right about it being easy and common sense. I was going to shit my pants when i did the first one. I pictured it going off and a screw driver going thru my head. They in theory have to have a power and a ground to go off. Battery gone and is there a fuse for it? I have done it twice and i'm still kicking. My friend at toyota told me how they do it. He was begging me to bring it in so they could set it off. He said they shot a soda bottle a hundred ft in the air.