Steering wheel play

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
So, I started another thread on a similar subject, but this appears to be new:

Old thread:http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8952&highlight=steering

Problem: Excessive play in steering wheel.

With engine on or off, when Supra is stopped, I can shake the steering wheel back and forth an good 10 - 15 degrees or so before it feels like I am actually turning the front wheels and I also get this horrible clunking/clanking noise comming from the steering rack.

Also, when driving and I hit a small bump or uneven surface the steering wheel vibrates. I get no other vibration except for steering wheel.

What I have done so far:

New steering rack (same noise, same problem)
New driver's side lower ball joint (helped some)
Suspension/alignment shop says tie-rod ends are tight, wheel bearings are fine and control arm bushings are fine.

New tires balanced and alignment done. Note that the same noise and problem existed before the new tires.

I went home and retested everything the shop did and tested things per TSRM: tie-rod ends are fine, ball joints tested okay, no slop/play anywhere in the suspension.

Also, checked the steering wheel shaft to steering rack, and everything appears normal.

It seems to me that I need to adjust the pre-load within the steering rack itself because that is where the noise and loosness appears to be comming from. Everything else in the steering and suspension checks out okay.

Anyone ever adjusted the steering rack before??? This is a new unit from NAPA.:icon_evil I am still getting the same damned noise and play in steering wheel.

This noise and play and vibration are really starting to piss me off.
Any other suggestions?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
That's really strange, you're sure it's not in the U-joint in the intermediate shaft? Also, the shaft is a 2 piece design, and it's possible that the inner piece has developed some slop inside the outer piece. That or the gear is worn on the end of the intermediate shaft, but you should have seen that upon replacing the rack...
MCD072.gif

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
replace the steering colum. it costs about 70 bucks to do cause thats why was wrong with mine. it would go about 5-10 degrees b4 the wheel would move. it sucked ffor a week lol.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
IJ. said:
Who rebuilt the rack?

Rebuilt/Remanned from Napa.

I tore apart the steering colum intermediate shaft last night and I could not feel any play in it at all.

I think its probably the steering rack, but I can't imagine getting a rebuilt one that has the exact same symptons/noise as the old one, but if the preload was not set right when rebuilt, I suppose it could happen.