Steering slippage. Scary problem.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
My 89 turbo has many small issues. It's a tank full of fun. :)

The main problem now is that the steering has slop/play in it. There is a small amount of freeplay, but nothing that worries me. The problem is that the steering wheel can turn under force, WITHOUT turning the wheels of the car.

Ex1: I discovered it when doing a u-turn. I turn the wheel hard and the steering wheel turns with constant force, but for about 20 degrees of turning, the car does NOT turn.

Ex2: I can change the "straight" position of the wheel. (the steering position required to make the car go in a straight line.) If I yank hard right on the wheel when going straight, I move the wheel's center position. I first thought the car needed an alignment since the steering wheel was not centered, but I was able to yank the wheel into the straight position and beyond.)

Could this be worn splines within the steering column? Worn Steering rack/pinion gears? Worn bushings in the suspension components?

I have taken a look at the underside and I don't see anything horribly wrong, but I dont know what exactly to look for.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!

-Andy

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
IJ.;1089792 said:
With the engine running get someone to turn it lock to lock while you watch the rack and steering shafts.

There shouldn't be much if any play in a rack car.

I did this and the rack stays in place until it reaches lock on either side. When it reaches lock, it bumps slightly. It might move about a quarter to half inch, but again it's only when the steering stop is hit that the rack moves at all.

Should it stay perfectly still even when it hits the stops?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yep shouldn't move at all.

The stock rubbers perish/soften with age and this will let the rack wander around while driving depending on the loads.

I'm using the RK Poly rack mounts and they've been very good.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
Shouldnt move any noticeable amount. Sounds like your rack bushings are worn or gone. especially the passenger side one.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
IJ beat me to it. As it's a rack and pinion, there isn't anything that can "slip" inside the actual rack itself without having major failure.

The rack bushings on the other hand are rubber. If you've had a fluid leak in that area, they're gonna be toast...

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
Poodles;1089895 said:
IJ beat me to it. As it's a rack and pinion, there isn't anything that can "slip" inside the actual rack itself without having major failure.

The rack bushings on the other hand are rubber. If you've had a fluid leak in that area, they're gonna be toast...

i was thinking that the rack could slip on the pinion gear if it had worn out sufficiently.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
my friend's old supra had a variety of fluid leaks and the steering rack mount rubbers were super toast...letting the rack slide to the point where you could turn the wheel a bit from side to side while driving and the car wouldn't turn!!

I have no idea how he was driving the thing in that state, but after I drove it once we replaced them.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Thank you very much for all the replies!!!! :)

Are you guys referring to numbers 45517 and 45516 when you say bushings?
MCG172C.gif

If so, I will be extremely happy if that is all that is needed to fix this "condition". The rack definitely moves when it reaches full lock(presumably the only time the rack would see lateral force when in the air on stands) so it sounds likely that the bushings are at least a part of the problem, if not the entire problem.

Once again thanks!!!

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Can you get under the car and try moving it around?

it has a few hardlines on it, but there should be no movement.

Edit: You Might wanna look into poly bushings. :)

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprarx7nut;1090775 said:
Awesomeness!!!

I love SM so damn much it makes me want to hug it like a puppy or kitten. This could save me loads of cash and a full days worth of work.

your a little creepy.....but we love you to....in the most manly non gay way ofcourse.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
just drove the car around the block a few times and the problem has DISAPPEARED after installing the new bushings! 30 bucks solved what seemed like a huge problem!

Thank you everybody for all the advice and help!