steering rack slack

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Hi guys, i did a search on this but didn't find anything so here goes

I was driving up to my parents house for Christmas (3 hours away from where i live)

Going through the hills on the way to their house at around 100km/h there appeared to be some slack in the steering, at slower speeds i cant notice it as much.

id turn into a corner and about 1/2 a second after i started turning it would start to turn, when returning the wheel to centre it is not straight , when turning the wheel the opposite direction then turning it to the centre the wheel is not straight but the opposite direction,

As a result the car feels unstable through corners at higher speeds.

so i've searched TSRM and found this

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/SR/SR_002.gif

I think this falls under excessive play, My question is what would cause this, the TSRM gives 5 possible causes.

Font Hub Bearing Worn
Main shaft yoke worn
Ball jointsworn
Steering system joints worn (rack ends??)
Steering Gear out of adjustment or worn

I'll most likely get a workshop to fix this but id like to know whats causing it before they try to rip me off.

I've noticed a bit of clunking like the ball joints are on their way out as well, they are on my list to replace soon.

any help would be appreciated !

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
my first guess would be the tie rods (outer and possibly inner)

How many miles are on the car? How many inches or millimeters of freeplay does the steering wheel have?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
Moy;1478973 said:
my first guess would be the tie rods (outer and possibly inner)

How many miles are on the car? How many inches or millimeters of freeplay does the steering wheel have?

220,000km or aprox 136,000 miles, as for free play ill need to measure it, ill let you know once i have a accurate figure.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
My "guess" would be the rubber rack mounts as there's NOTHING internal that would allow it to not recentre 2 Ducks.

Failing that I'd move up the steering shaft and make sure the pinch bolts are installed and tight.

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
IJ.;1479040 said:
My "guess" would be the rubber rack mounts as there's NOTHING internal that would allow it to not recentre 2 Ducks.

Failing that I'd move up the steering shaft and make sure the pinch bolts are installed and tight.

30mm counter clockwise 50mm clockwise play measuring from the outside diameter of the wheel (not sure if i did it correctly)

ill inspect a few things when i get home. is it normal for steering to seem super sensitive at 100km/h?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
NashMan;1479164 said:
cheak the yoke joint near the fire wall thous go bad alot easy as piss to fix i repaced mine befor

here is another tec tip

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=36

Thank you! ill check the steering shaft for play

IJ.;1479137 said:
Is it a PPS rack?

I'm pretty sure i do, there is a plug which goes into the wiring loom, if its disconnected the power steering does not work, to be honest i think id prefer normal p/s, forgot about that connector (ill be replacing the engine loom soon)

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
hvyman;1479240 said:
what year is your car?

October 1988, 89+ model, Australian Delivered. the steering wheel matches the Canadian one in the TSRM (3 spoke)

Im not sure what the car originally was, i think it was a auto turbo. but may have been n/a, hard to say, looks like a fair bits been changed on it since it left the factory, also w/ tems.

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Get it up on a lift and check to make sure that all bolts that hold the K member and Rack are tight. Check closely and make sure that the K Member is not cracked where the rack bolts to it. I had one that was cracked and it gave the same sloppy indications. I wound up replacing the whole K member and rack....

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Scot;1479255 said:
Get it up on a lift and check to make sure that all bolts that hold the K member and Rack are tight. Check closely and make sure that the K Member is not cracked where the rack bolts to it. I had one that was cracked and it gave the same sloppy indications. I wound up replacing the whole K member and rack....

how the fuck did you do that like really

was it form when you used corveat as a ramp to jump the school bus

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Not sure how it happened. I still have the whole thing and will take a pic next time I go to storage. It must have been a hard hit, bottom out, or something.... The car had been in a couple of crashes....

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
ok, i got a mate to turn the steering wheel while i inspected the shaft that protrudes through the firewall and goes to the steering rack.

whilst moving the wheels did not move at all, the shaft moved with the steering wheel as expected.

What i've noticed is there is no slack at low speeds but around 100km/h the car feels "sloppy" its like driving a car made of jelly

are you talking about the rubber mounts which hold the steering rack to the k-frame? ill inspect it tonight.

UPDATE:
inspected the 2 mounts, 1 looks ok, the other looks pretty perished & oil soaked. where would i find these? EDIT: Driftmotion sell them.

Last edited: