Steering Rack Leak?

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
Ok the rubber boots at each end of my steering rack are filled with power steering fluid and its leaking out. Is there a way of fixing this with out taking the steering rack off the car or replacing the rack altogether. If I do have to replace the rack do I have to lift the motor out(up) to get to it. Thanks in advance.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
StrikeIS;1353871 said:
Ok the rubber boots at each end of my steering rack are filled with power steering fluid and its leaking out. Is there a way of fixing this with out taking the steering rack off the car or replacing the rack altogether. If I do have to replace the rack do I have to lift the motor out(up) to get to it. Thanks in advance.

No
and no

ccwade

supraman
Dec 27, 2006
Central US
I have a 87 non-turbo, my boot on the passenger side is leaking out the holes that are in top of the dust cover boot. I can get a seal replacement kit from auto zone. My question is can I replace the seals to the rack without removing the whole rack from the car? Any information would greatly be appreciated:1zhelp:.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
ccwade;1354493 said:
I have a 87 non-turbo, my boot on the passenger side is leaking out the holes that are in top of the dust cover boot. I can get a seal replacement kit from auto zone. My question is can I replace the seals to the rack without removing the whole rack from the car? Any information would greatly be appreciated:1zhelp:.

Did you read all the posts? IJ just answered the same question! Looks like a.d.d.

ccwade

supraman
Dec 27, 2006
Central US
rayall01;1354519 said:
Did you read all the posts? IJ just answered the same question! Looks like a.d.d.

Yes I read the post, I would like more of an explanation on why? Sorry I have an excuse, I am a woman trying to fix my car without spending alot of money.:aigo:

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
If the seal are leaking bad,replacing the boots will be worthless.
I'm currently suffering from the same problem,and forsee a rebuilt rack in my future.
Might as well replace some other odds and ends while i'm there.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ccwade;1354493 said:

I'm in the middle of doing this job right now and it's not really something that you can easily do as there are a few SST's involved. (Special Service Tools)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Already answered in your other thread ;)

But anyway, no because the entire rack needs to be disassembled to replace the seals. Power steering pressures are EXTREMELY high...

ccwade

supraman
Dec 27, 2006
Central US
Thanks for the info. looks like I will get a rebuilt rack from auto zone for $180 and try to install myself. Anything important I need to know before I start the job?

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
IJ.;1353874 said:
No
and no

Ok well let me ask another question. How do I replace the rack. Cause the only way I see is to move the motor out of the way cause the oil pan is sitting right on it almost. Unless I take the whole cross member down and hold the engine up with a stand and undo the engine mounts, then I can drop the whole rack. but that still seems like a lot of work that don't need to be done. but maybe I'm wrong, I have been know to do that some times.

Oh and what kind of filter, just like a fuel filter or something.

Last edited:

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
you should add brake fluid to the powersteering. its a coorosive lubricant that causes the seals to swell and stop leaking for a little while. (dont really do that its an old trick used car salesmen do when a car has a powersteering leak) yea the only way to fix it is to pull the rack and rebuild it or replace it. either way pull the rack. its not too hard though. if i can do it so can you.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
OR! Cut your PS pump belt LOL.
As for the rack, its pretty straight forward taking it out, and once you're under the car you will see that its pretty simple, just time consuming.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'll be doing this in the future as well. I knew I should have just bought a Probe instead of the Probe wannabe.

StrikeIS

Apr 1, 2009
Va
IJ.;1354851 said:
You unbolt the saddle mounts and it comes out forward, there are specific PwrSteer filters designed to do the job.

Ok. That makes sense. I've been doing a lot of stuff to the car so I didnt really give the steering rack a lot of attention. I just kinda looked at it and said that looks difficult. Ive taken the turbo, exhaust, intercooler, and clutch fan out and will be replacing with 57 trim CT-26, BIC DP to custom exhaust, and spearco rep FMIC with 2.5 piping, and either flex-a-lite fans or Taurus fans. Ill be replacing the steering rack as well in this process and thanks for the help Ill be sure to take your advice and slap a filter on there in the process.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Replacing the power steering rack was the best non-upgrade I did to the car. It improved the handling tremendously! But I can't help but believe that lowering our cars puts undo stress on the rack, most likely shortening the life of the rack.

suprahero;1355535 said:
I'll be doing this in the future as well. I knew I should have just bought a Probe instead of the Probe wannabe.

Its never too late to trade that wannabe for the real thing Jay!!