Steering Help!?!?!?!

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
87 Turbo Swap 5-speed.

When I bought the Supra, the steering wheel would wobble alot on the freeway.

Since purchase:
1. New tires
2. New struts
3. Just replaced the steering rack

I noticed that it doesn't have a steering stabilzer, but it has the mounts for one.

After the new steering rack install, I am still getting horrid steering wheel vibration on the freeway.

But, it does not pull, the car itself does not vibrate. The noise and clunking is gone, but the steering wheel vibrates BADD!!!!! I have yanked and pryed on the both tie-rod ends, and they don't move or clunk.

Could the steering dampner/stabilizer solve my issue? Is there anywhere else to get them besides the dealer??? NAPA, Kragen, Autozone don't have them.

Thanks,

Last edited:

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Carrier bearing is new.

The vibration is in the steering wheel only.

No vibration from rear end, middle, front. It is just the steering wheel. Further, the vibration is not small, and consistent, like in a rotating mass problem.

On smooth surface everything is fine. If I hit any uneven surface, like the freeway, the steering wheel vibrates bad, like 10 degrees in either direction.

It has to been in the steering system. But the tires only have about 1500 miles on them, rack is new, no slop in tie rod ends or steering column. I don't get it.

Do I need the steering stabilizer/dampner?

HELP!!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yeah, you might want to pick that up, and bolt it on. it could solve your problems. just for reference sake, when my carrier bearing went, the steering wheel was the only place i felt it, and it was the exact same symptoms which you describe.

-shaeff

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Try and get the tires re-balanced.

At what speed does the steering vibration come in at?
Does it get worse the faster you go?
Does it ever go away at a higher speed?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Try swapping front and rear tires.

I don't have a steering damper and don't have what you describe so I'd be looking deeper into the front suspension/steering.

Try jacking it up under the front A Arm and giving the wheel a push/pull/wobble on each side.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
U mean use the a arm as a jack point?

I thought we were'nt supposed to jack there?

After reading some more stuff here and on SF, that sounds like a good idea IJ. Although I did this test today, but with both wheels off the ground its really hard to tell if anything is loose.

I will try tomorrow.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yep if you're careful and use a trolly jack it'll be fine!

If you jack it up and the suspension unloads with the wheels hanging down you may miss a worn bush/balljoint whatever.

I'm thinking maybe a wheelbearing or the balljont in the rack.

I'd also swap front and rear tires just in case to rule them out!

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
I've seen many cars and trucks with problems like you describe.

First check the tires and rims for true-ness. Spin them and look to see if there is any side movement of the tread. Then look closely at the rim at the bead edge, for out of round, side play.

Second...a worn upper or lower bushing will give EXACTLY what you have.
Also a ball joint, too.

What happens is....on a smooth road all is well, but when you hit a bump, even a tiny one, it throws off the balance, and you get a shimmy because the worn/loose parts can't control it.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
another issue i had,, i fought a vibration for the longest time.. finally, i read something about hub centric rings as compared to lug centric wheels. check to see if your wheels are hubcentric and if they are then see if you have the hub centric rings installed,, id still put a $ says lower ball joints.. but let us know,

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
I think I am gonna take it to an alignment shop for diagnosis only.

Then fix the problem myself. I will post up results when I get it fixed. Thanks for all the help.

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Lower driver's side ball joint is toast.

Test confirms there is a clunking noise coming form the ball joint. Tie-rod ends are fine, new steering rack, etc.

Steering components are fine. Ball joint cooked.

I just ordered a new one today from Toyota for $75 including tax with family discount.:naughty:

Will update on installation and driveablitly after installation.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
That'd do it. Fortunately, the lower ball joints are easy to replace on this car. You'll probably want to do the other side soon, since it's surely the same vintage.

I find the passenger side stuff wears faster because the road is rougher on that side.

Asterix

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Changed the lower ball joint today. Very easy to change.:icon_bigg

However, I am still getting a small shimmy over bumpy or uneven surface.

The original shaking, has been reduced by 98%, but there is some noticable still there. Also, it feels like it floats a little.

Also, when parked, if I shake the steering wheel back & forth, I get a somewhat loud clanking noise or clunking noise.

Alignment shop says the tie-rod ends are fine and he did not find anything else wrong except for the one bad ball joint.

Any other suggestions??

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
Dunno. Prolly replace these when I do the front brakes in a month or so.

What has me concerned is the lound clank I get, parked, while yanking the steering wheel back and forth.