steering column covers different between years?

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
a friend broke my steering console covers so i decided to buy some new ones. i have an 89 and i saw a thread for some and i bought them. they were also 89's. the two peices closest to the steering wheel fit fine but the other two peices(the ones that also go around the key) the screws dont line up. are they different on different supras? thanks. aslo i am looking at the action stage 3 clutch which is 2800lbs of holding pressure and can withstand 425whp with a full face disc and i was wondering how stiff the pedal will be compared to stock. this is my daily driver so i want it to be smooth but be able to hold some good power.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
On the clutch, I run the action stage 3 (the actual stage 3 kit has the 6 puck clutch, stage 2 is the full face stock disk) and it's a bit stiffer than stock, but it's not bad at all. Supra clutch is heavy anyway compared to something like a honda LOL

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
i wouldn't think the cover would be different even in a airbag car since the only thing for the air bag is 2 wires and the air bag in the steering wheel? please prove me wrong.

heat does play a roll with plastic and it may not line up properly from car to car. i had my covers sitting off where there bolted up for a year and they didn't exactly go on right even tho they were stock for that car.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There are basically 3 different fitments:

1. Without airbag (all pre-89 and 89+ w/manual transmission)
2. Without airbag (89+ w/automatic transmission)
3. With airbag

Make sure you find one that matches.

Jeff

3.0 GT

2JZ Holset Mafia
Nov 30, 2008
Franklin, Tn
Jeff Lange;1351287 said:
There are basically 3 different fitments:

1. Without airbag (all pre-89 and 89+ w/manual transmission)
2. Without airbag (89+ w/automatic transmission)
3. With airbag

Make sure you find one that matches.

Jeff

i think i purchased number 2. i have an 89 and its manual so maybe i bought some off an automatic. what would cause the auto covers to be different than the manual ones? thanks for the info

Poodles;1351180 said:
On the clutch, I run the action stage 3 (the actual stage 3 kit has the 6 puck clutch, stage 2 is the full face stock disk) and it's a bit stiffer than stock, but it's not bad at all. Supra clutch is heavy anyway compared to something like a honda LOL

thanks! i just ordered the stage 2.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
yz-125;1351370 said:
i think i purchased number 2. i have an 89 and its manual so maybe i bought some off an automatic.

My only guess is the lock release solenoid on the ignition lock to not allow key removal while the automatic shift selector is not in the "P" position.

Jeff

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
old thread bump....

in the post 89, did the column always come in black? like the shift boot? say on a burgundy interior?

I ask because I installed my 87 burgundy one and it looks distracting with a bit of burgundy there, so the JDM black one went in, after the holes were adjusted... for wipers/signals