Status update, 11/24/09 Ridiculous incident, need advice: let it go or take a stand?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Ok so heres the situation. Today was my buddies 23rd and we were at his house. Cleared out around midnight. Hop in the jetta and pull out, and this dude in an explorer rolls up on me. My buddy witnesses this. Pull onto a backroad and the explorer is right on my ass. I pull to the side to let him by and he pulls in behind me as if he wants to fight. Not knowing how many people are in the explorer punch it. I hit like 90 and he is still on my ass. I call my buddy and tell him im being followed. He tells me to double back and bring him back to the house. I make a u turn at the end of the road and double back, the explorer whips it around and comes after me. Now i know this isnt a joke. Get back to his house and rip up the ebrake throwing the car into a 180 and into the empty space across the street of his house (swampland, not someones yard) Jump out of the car ready to kill and I get a badge in my face. I look past the badge and see he looks familiar. I ask him why the fuck he is following me, and he responds that i was going 90. I tell him i have every right to go 90 if im being chased and feel my life is in danger. By now my friend is right next to me and he recognizes him as well. Its josh randall (some idiot we went to highschool with, who has been pretending to be a cop since he was 14). We call him out on this and he continues to pull the "I'm a cop" routine. (mind you he was known to carry a fake badge in high school) My buddy wants to fight but his GF is holding him back, and i realize the best decision is to let him go. So we back off and he takes off (speeding mind you).

Now I'm 95% sure he is not a cop (since the war started, you basically cant be a cop here unless you have military experience). Even if he was a cop, he was still out of line. I thought he would have grown up since high school, but now I see he has likely been posing as an officer and harassing innocent individuals for the last 5 years since we graduated.

My question is, do I let this go, or do I go to the police station tomorrow and tell them what happened (which I'm leaning towards). This kid is a meanace to society, presumably inpersonating a police officer, and a danger to anyone he comes in contact with. If he is this delusional, and gets a firearm, he could shoot someone.

You tell me guys, what should I do. I have myself and 2 witnesses, one of which made a positive ID, as well as myself.

Last edited:

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
Canuckrz;1418552 said:
I'd do it if your police department isn't the type to give you a ticket for speeding if you tell them what happened.

I don't see how they could considering I was fleeing a physical confrontation with an unknown number of assailants.

Also forgot to mention after I took off, he pulled up as if he was going to try and PIT manuver me (clip my quarter pannel in an attempt to spin me out). This was the act that made me escolate to such high speeds on a back road. I wasnt about to let him put me into a tree.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Impersonating the law is considerably worse than speeding. Even if he has actually gone though the effort to become an officer, he was still WAY out of line. It's worth the attempt, talk to the police asap. If he's not an officer, he'll be in a world of hurt, and his chances of ever becoming one vanish entirely. If he *is* an officer, it's a long, hard road to getting fired over being stupid, but it starts the same way... get him in trouble. After enough people do this to him, he'll become a problem that the force cannot ignore.

Personally, I'd have called 911 on the spot. I'd also have let him follow me to the police station, not my buddy's house. Last but not least, I virtually always greet road ragers with a camera and a few snaps of them and their vehicle. It's amazing how fast young hotheads can calm down and walk away when confronted with the possibility of being on record.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Report it! A cop off duty may follow you but he won't tailgate and either he will have lights in his vehicle or he will call in backup and just follow till they catch up and pull you over with a marked car with standard blue/red lights...

This guy obviously isn't right in the head and needs a wake up call...

You and your friend need too report it...also I'd skip the part about calling your friend as you should have called the cops...I'd personally say I pulled a uturn back too your friends in hope that he was still outside as your phone batteries were dead.

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
The reason why I didnt go to the police station is I thought this kid might actually hit my car and the police station was like 10 mi away. Being chased that far at high speeds could have let to someone getting hurt or killed. Looking back I should have called the cops right then, but I figured it was better to cool down and weigh the situation in the morning.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
You should have dialed 911 as soon as you felt you were being followed. If it's an officer, the dispatcher will tell you so - if not - they'll send a real officer out to fix the problem.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
You should of dialed 911, as Supracentral said if it where a cop they would of told you so, and if not they would of sent an officer to address the situation. To many people get killed by others who are impersonating an officer, so I they will take it seriously.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
No Lights + No Citation + FAKE!

Report him quickly. Did you get a tag number from his vehicle? That would help in identifying him.

How did this end? Did he just give you a "verbal" warning? Or, did he see he was outnumbered, and chum up with you guys, and "let you go"?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Zerocool;1418757 said:
You should of dialed 911, as Supracentral said if it where a cop they would of told you so, and if not they would of sent an officer to address the situation. To many people get killed by others who are impersonating an officer, so I they will take it seriously.

ForcedTorque;1418772 said:
No Lights + No Citation + FAKE!

Report him quickly. Did you get a tag number from his vehicle? That would help in identifying him.

How did this end? Did he just give you a "verbal" warning? Or, did he see he was outnumbered, and chum up with you guys, and "let you go"?

gtsfirefighter;1418774 said:
It's a no brainer, report him.

Agreed. No cop would behave like that, and if it is a cop, he's a danger to himself and others - either way he needs to be reported.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
If he's been impersonating a police officer since highschool, no one's probably reported him yet.

Get to it man, take the lead out of that chumps pencil.

savannahashlee

I AM A CHICK :)
Jan 15, 2008
PDX (Oregon)
IT IS A FEDERAL OFFENSE TO POSE AS A POLICE OFFICER.. YOU NEED TO REPORT HIM TO THE POLICE BEFORE HE REALLY HURTS SOMEONE..

Secondly, you should have called 911, and asked them if there was a police officer that radioed in in your location following your car.. if not, you should have reported it..

lewis15498

Sep 28, 2008
I agree guys, I should have called the police, however, around here the cops are generally lazy and slow to respond. They like to belive that nothing like this really happens in their "good town". When my car was stolen, they wouldnt even send an officer out to collect evidence (half my steering column laying on the ground. I brought it to them and they said they didnt want it.) I called them for a B&E in my neighborhood, and it took them 10 minutes to respond from a whole 2 mi away, and then let him get away because they couldnt manage to set up a perimiter on a block that has 10 houses on it, and the guy was trapped in the middle. Six cops, no brains.

We have learned to take care of ourselves and each other because the cops dont.

Also, I didnt need a license plate, because I made a positive ID.

That said, I went to the police station today, Cop wouldnt even come out to talk to me, had to talk to him through the glass (I hate that). Then I said the kids name, he stopped me mid sentence, told me to have a seat, and he would send someone out to talk to me. Sat down with another officer who seemed to be a really great guy. Also happens to know my friends family. He told me to have my friend and myself fill out a incident report, bring them in and he would start an investigation. While he was unsure if the kid was a cop he does know he is in the US coast guard and has a search and rescue dog. Even gave me his cell, in case I have any questions/problems. I guess we'll see what happens.