Startup grinding

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
89+ w/ 1JZ swap. DM Stage 2 clutch kit (2800lb. pp w/ OEM disc), aluminum flywheel, stock driveshaft. The problem manifested after putting about 1000 miles on the swap. Whenever the car is cold, and upon startup, there will be a brief grinding, definitely like a rotating piece(s) are hitting something stationary. Even if the car is put into neutral, with clutch in, the grinding will be there upon startup. It will get progressively louder and more severe as I start off in 1st (or 2nd) but then suddenly it will just dissappear. It will not make it again for the duration of the drive, regardless of stop and go, whatever. Clutch holds strong no slipping. After stopping and turning car off, if I start it again and the motor is still warm, it will not make the sound at all, or it will be much less pronounced, proportional to how warm the car is. At first I thought maybe I had installed the clutch disc backwards, but wouldn't the grinding continue? I have lifted the car and removed the windows on the bellhousing but I cannot see anything our of place or awry. The sound is definitely coming from the clutch/flywheel/transmission/motor interface area. It just seems so strange to me that the sound is always there at startup but then goes away after driving more than a short distance. Any ideas?

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
Can anyone take a shot at this? I am waiting for some wheels I sent off to be widened on my G8 to return, so I can get the supra on jackstands and dismantle the drivetrain. Until then I'm driving the supra every day, and I still have the same symptoms. Thanks for any input!

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
There is no change or absence of the noise regardless of oil pressure. I measured pedal free height and free play last night. Height was good, free play was over spec a bit so I adjusted, this caused no change in the symptoms. If I installed the PP backwards, wouldn't there be grinding almost consistently while the motor is running, or until the flywheel bolt heads got worn down?