Starting/Timeing

harry89supra

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver island BC
Hey all. Since i have had my 7MGTE in the supra iv always had a problem with it starting when its cold. Now iv always had the timeing set to 14 degrees advanced at idle. Once its running it great. Could the timeing be the source of why its so hard to start in the morning?

Also Iv want to replace all my coolent hoses, including the heater core hoses.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Librar...es/MA9047B.gif

Are these coolent hose number the Toyota part numbers? if not does anyone know where i could get the part numbers? Other than Toyota.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Yes and no on the timing. Timing is retarded with the STA signal, but you have it turned up. Considering all the people that run advanced, I don't think it is the problem, even though it is a problem.

Is the cold start injector time circuit working right? I would think about fuel, or more accurately, not enough of it.

harry89supra

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver island BC
It almost seems like the fuel pressure is not being held in the fuel rail. It also seems like the pump does not come on till it sees the crank signal. I know its sapose to come on with key on engine off.

Last edited:

harry89supra

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver island BC
oh ok. Well then i have eather fuel leaking back to the gas tank or into the cylinders, cuz i dont here my fuel pump till it cranks. Then it still takes a lil bit for it to finaly start. This only happens first thing in the morning or sittin for like 6-8 houres.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ok...one more time. You will not hear the fuel pump until you turn the key and the starter engages. This is normal.

The fuel pressure tests are in the TSRM pages FI 71-73...starts here:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=71

Note: On page 73 fuel pressure should remain above 21 psi (147 kPa) for 5 minutes after the motor is shut down (i.e. fuel pump off)

You may have a problem with the cold start injector or it's time switch.

harry89supra

Jul 22, 2006
Vancouver island BC
Thanks for the info, Ill start with the cold start injecter. Im not at home so i wont be able to do anything for about a week. As for the snow, we only get snow for about 3 weeks max out of the whole year. it is cold but i use my truck in the winter time.

Ill be puttin a walbro fuel pump in too so it might help, im really thinking its the cold start injecter.