Starting problems

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
I believe my starter has gone bad, but wanted to see what you all thought. The problem is sometimes the car will not crank after driving it awhile (hot). First I thought it was the battery but jumping doesnt help. So Ive checked the connections. The first time after playing with the connections for 20 minutes it started. Drove for a week then did the same thing ect.. When i turn the key it doesnt click or do anything, but power works for everything. So this last time (3rd) messing with the connections wouldnt work and finally had to push start the car. Everytime the car gets started it will last for about a week starting with no problems before it does it again. I am thinking it is the starter going bad, and not just a connection with the way its been. According to my search on here the connection on the starter is caused problems but in those cases the car would still click when on, my doesnt do anything! Im going to call Jeff watson and see how much this is going to cost but i want to be sure before i order. thanks in advance
John

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Yeap, its worn out, time for a new on, get the 89+ starters because they have the threaded holes, the pre 89 youd have to use a bolt and a nut on the other side to get the starter to hold to the bell housing.

good luck

-saif

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
tekdeus said:
if you can't hear the relay clicking under the glovebox, it could be the relay or the ignition switch itself.
Yeah i was going to mention to check that too before you replace the starter.
BTW, i have an 89 and have to use a bolt and nut, WTF?!

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
okay well the car is 1990 so that will be fine, so this same one would work for my 87 ialso f i ever have to change it out? tekdeus i dont hear any clicking at all, but i have been listening for the starter to click so maybe i just overlooked the sound of the relay. You think the ignition would cause it to go out like that every week or so?

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
DE-JA-VU!!!

Been there... done that...:evil2:

I dealt with that (similar) issue through starters, battery cables, alternators, belt, starter relay, other electronics, and then REPEAT for sooooo long... I finally took matters into my own hands...:naughty:

I just finished my SURE-FIRE-HOT-WIRE-BUTTON-START-JET-FIGHTER-STARTER-ENERGY-IGNITION-BYPASS-DOUBLEASSECURITY-NO-START-SYNDROME-RESOLUTION project!

Now I have no starting problems...;)

(I hope to post a thread with pic and some more detail... been busy.:icon_conf )

In the meantime, g/l with your progress!

-crisp

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Grimsta said:
Yeah i was going to mention to check that too before you replace the starter.
BTW, i have an 89 and have to use a bolt and nut, WTF?!

hmm, the starter you have on rite now, has it alweays been the original one or did it get changed before. cuzz i know for a fact 89+ starters are threaded so only need a bolt to go through it.