Starting Problems! help!!

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
I went to my local walmart to buy a new battery for my mk3! When I hooked up the battery I noticed I had no interior lights, wouldn't turn over or nothing, no brake lights, I had head lights hazards and horn! After messing around with the fuses under the hood I got the lights back on and the car will turn over but will not fire! Any tips? I need help!

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
Is the battery charged? Check to make sure the connectors at the battery are clean and that the main ground to the block is clean and secure. You shouldn't lose anything electrical when switching batteries. Did you change any fuses when you were checkinh them?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
thecarwiz17;1401117 said:
At first yes I did...I think I blew the fusible link (ALT 1.25B)

Replace the fuse, if you have a wire(fusible link) in the engine bay fuse box for the alternator just replace it with a normal fuse. You have to get under the fuse box to remove it as it's screwed in placed.

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
Ok what size and kind of fuse...I don't know much bout this kinda stuff! I know the fusible link is a 80 amp so im guessing use the same for the fuse? And do I need to get a box fuse? The 1s with the clear plastic cover on them?

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
thecarwiz17;1401755 said:
Ok what size and kind of fuse...I don't know much bout this kinda stuff! I know the fusible link is a 80 amp so im guessing use the same for the fuse? And do I need to get a box fuse? The 1s with the clear plastic cover on them?

Yea just a normal plastic fuse(although it's big being 80amp or whatever it is).

thecarwiz17

Sep 2, 2009
Spring Hill
Are you sure that's gunna work? My supra is sitting 2 hours away and I don't wana waste my gas! Did you have the same problem? Will the fuse plug right into the socket

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
thecarwiz17;1401856 said:
Are you sure that's gunna work? My supra is sitting 2 hours away and I don't wana waste my gas! Did you have the same problem? Will the fuse plug right into the socket

Well, do a search on alternator fuses and you will get all the info you need then.

I blew the stock wire thing and replaced it with it with the correct fuse, no problems since.