Starting issues

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
okay so heres my problem:

88 NA Supra, if the car sits for 1 day, when I try to start it, I have to try at least 8 times before it starts, when it does, it ruvs to about 1100 then slowly decreases rpm and dies. Try to start it again, it turns on very briefly then shuts off. Do this enough times and it till start and idle at about 1500, if I step on the gas and rev it to about 2500 and leave it there for about 2 min, it idles fine and revs fine. I then turn the car off and try to turn it back on, and it starts fine no problems.

It appears to be only when the car is cold that I have this problem. I can hear the fuel pump start so it should be getting fuel no problem. Perhaps it could be the cold start injector? Any thoughts?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I think the idle speed controller may be to blame. I'd test the CSI, TPS and AFM per the TSRM, but I'd look at the ISC first.

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
thanks ill have to check it out thats what i was leaning more to was the ISC because doesnt the cold start injetor only go off when the engine is below like 50 degrees and in houston it doesnt realyl get that cold

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
i had a problem like this, still kinda do; i took the TPS plug and cleaned it out and it seemed to fix the problem

Attachments

• TPS1.JPG
    TPS1.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 18

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
thechori said:
i had a problem like this, still kinda do; i took the TPS plug and cleaned it out and it seemed to fix the problem

After cleaning them put some dielectric grease on the contacts to help prevent oxidization and to keep moisture from getting back in there.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
oh hey, "right hook" is like a drifting group from H240.com isn't it? i used to cruise those boards all the time b/c i was interested in picking up a 240 for drifting, but i got my supra instead and kinda fell off

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
thechori said:
oh hey, "right hook" is like a drifting group from H240.com isn't it? i used to cruise those boards all the time b/c i was interested in picking up a 240 for drifting, but i got my supra instead and kinda fell off

Ya, thats us. there are more than just 240's plus some of them got band from houstonimports.com so haha we all talk on H240. there are more than 240's though there is also a porsche 944 an AE86 my supra and a mk2 supra just pretty much all our friends

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
cool cool, i've been wanting to make it out to one of those grinds at MW or GGP, but money has always gotten in the way.. im definitely going to spectate on the 25th though, do you drive in any of them?

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
not really if i do its a friends car because i have been working on my supra trying to get it out there but like u said money is tight haha. ya the 25th of this month there will be one going on i have to work so im not going to be out there but they are allways fun... more fun to drive though but if u can see if u can get some rides also thats always fun.

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
Well the car starts perfect now. I did a couple things... i took out the TPS cleaned it really good put it back and it started right now... now i think about it and well that does seem right should have been the first thing i checked haha thanks guys

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. I have been thinking of going back to the original gran turismo to learn how to drift. I never played with that option. But now if I could drive like that...., the cops would never catch me. LOL

amramsey

Sep 13, 2006
Houston
www.myspace.com
ok so hopefully tonight i will be taking out everything on the interior seats dash and door panels again well because i kinda made a mistake.... i read on somewhere that under body spray makes a good lining for the interior of your car when its gutted out.... well so i sprayed it down and it didnt tak.... so im going to be taking it all out and its everywhere.... i was at first going to get it sand blated but a friend of mine told me to just get a wire brush on a drill and it will take it out so ive started on that.... its going to take a while but it works so.... i also need to run by the store and get some dry ice because that will take out the sound dentining very easy... we did it on my buddies 240sx