starting issue

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
so i think this may be related to teh starter relay rewire. but i read on that thread that theres a clicking by the starter. mine is by the junction box that holds the starter relay and opening circuit relay. i started the car ran it for about 10 mins. and than got a call that i didnt have to go to work. turned it off. got a call that my girlfriend needed a ride home from work./ went ot go start it. Nothing. that clicking came by the junction box. i recently had this problem back in aobut june. It ended up being the posotvie cable from the battery terminal to the starter replaced that. bam fired right up. Its a 86.5 NA AUTO. also idk if this helps diganose the problem but, the headlight wand has that rolling problem, havent had the time to take the cap off and tighten the screw, but when its all the way up and i try to start the car alll the dash lights and cluster lights start flickering untill i turn the headlights off and back on? starting issue can anyone help me???

t_broncatti

Sep 22, 2008
nicholasville
not to jack this mans thread but im having the same issue... ran yesterday didn't overheat... ran fine battery is an optima red tob brand new... battery cables new no dead spots on terminals... starter brand new replaced 3 months ago... car is in park moved the shifter from neutral to drive and tried to start...head lights work radio works battery reads 12 v car wont respond to a jump... just hear clicking from the ecu... car wont even attempt to turn over... jiggled wires on the starter as well all tight.... fuses are good :1zhelp:

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
no it wont even crank over. doesnt even attempt to tried to load the abttery tnohing happened. its a brand new battery some bullshit duralast gold type. any ideas would be appreciated.

t_broncatti

Sep 22, 2008
nicholasville
webbs7mgte;1200544 said:
no it wont even crank over. doesnt even attempt to tried to load the abttery tnohing happened. its a brand new battery some bullshit duralast gold type. any ideas would be appreciated.

lol same boat bro... sigh i said fuck it and sent it to the shop :( ill let you know what was wrong with mine tonight

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
Maple Ridge, BC, Canada eh?
t_broncatti;1200499 said:
not to jack this mans thread but im having the same issue... ran yesterday didn't overheat... ran fine battery is an optima red tob brand new... battery cables new no dead spots on terminals... starter brand new replaced 3 months ago... car is in park moved the shifter from neutral to drive and tried to start...head lights work radio works battery reads 12 v car wont respond to a jump... just hear clicking from the ecu... car wont even attempt to turn over... jiggled wires on the starter as well all tight.... fuses are good :1zhelp:

I never was able to start my car in drive, because it was in drive. That's weird that you would be able to do that, I thought all automatics had a safety in the tranny so that that can't happen?

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
tbcmorris;1200593 said:
Try a new starter relay. Its in the pass kick panel. Only do that if you've ruled out starter, wires,batt, alt and fuses

Could it be similar to same problem us turbo guys have? With the clicking starting and adding a relay to supplement the wire that is too small a gauge?

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
idk i did get a new starter relay tried 3 they all click right behind the starter relay. and idk cus on the starter relay people often say they hear a click by the starter i dont have anything but a click behind the starter relay.

Boombastic

Proud mk3 Owner
Dec 10, 2008
webbs7mgte;1200608 said:
idk i did get a new starter relay tried 3 they all click right behind the starter relay. and idk cus on the starter relay people often say they hear a click by the starter i dont have anything but a click behind the starter relay.

I would say maybe replace the wire from the starter relay to the starter. I know the clicking problem with my car was the wires being to small of a gauge and eventually burning themselves up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The first real test is to check open circuit voltage on the starter at the big wire, and switched voltage on the small wire when the key is in the start position. After the battery is load tested.

t_broncatti

Sep 22, 2008
nicholasville
hey bro cars out of the shop i failed to mention my car is an 86.5 auto as well... i didnt mean start it in drive.... just moving the shifter around from park to neutral and try em both... but here is what was wrong with mine... it was the switch that tells the car it cant start cuz your not in park or neutral... the shops calling it a range selector switch and they have mine bypassed as of now... im calling toyota tomorrow i think i found out what the part is called... neutral start sw 84540 ill talk to a tech and get price on that...

t_broncatti

Sep 22, 2008
nicholasville
t_broncatti;1203118 said:
hey bro cars out of the shop i failed to mention my car is an 86.5 auto as well... i didnt mean start it in drive.... just moving the shifter around from park to neutral and try em both... but here is what was wrong with mine... it was the switch that tells the car it cant start cuz your not in park or neutral... the shops calling it a range selector switch and they have mine bypassed as of now... im calling toyota tomorrow i think i found out what the part is called... neutral start sw 84540 ill talk to a tech and get price on that...

Um YEA... about that switch autozone has one for $249 if thats your problem u better bypass that bitch lol... i cant see spending 249 on a tranny im not going to keep... its only on automatics... switch is also known as neutral safety switch... rock auto has one for like 116 http://rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1310184,parttype,4584,a,Search for WIX it replaces STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # NS162 {NEUTRAL SAFETY/BACK-UP LIGHT SW.}
with A.T.; Original Equipment: 84540-30240.... see that 84540 part aint no joke lol good luck man

3rdgen Guy

Feb 12, 2008
Queens NyC
im having the same issue and i just realized that my car was an auto to 5 speed swap. I dont know who did the swap. I also have a new headlight issue where only the passenger side pops up. theres no way those two can be related right?