starter replacement question

mjmendoza

May 7, 2007
San Jose
i have a 90 turbo MKIII that i need to change the starter on. I was wondering if anyone has a step by step on how to change the starter. i already looked around on sm and i couldnt find anything. If anybody has any tips on how to change the starter with ease that would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
1. Disconnect the battery ground, move it so it won't hook up.

2. Unbolt it, hold it up, while you take the big wire and small wire off.

3. Borrow tools from a pro if he lets you and you are buddies.

4. Ask him to do it if you are not sure. No shame in that.

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
Nick M;1231176 said:
1. Disconnect the battery ground, move it so it won't hook up.

2. Unbolt it, hold it up, while you take the big wire and small wire off.

3. Borrow tools from a pro if he lets you and you are buddies.

4. Ask him to do it if you are not sure. No shame in that.

A 2-foot 3/8" extension and a swivel joint at the end will help out a lot to get to the top bolt from the tranny side.. The bottom bolt is easier to get to..

Blade2001

Apr 9, 2007
TX
Oh another thing.. dont bother with autozone starters.. try OEM or Jeff's rebuild kit from Lexus (Champion toyota).

str8_6

master yuepeng
Mar 14, 2007
wa
Blade2001;1231467 said:
A 2-foot 3/8" extension and a swivel joint at the end will help out a lot to get to the top bolt from the tranny side.. The bottom bolt is easier to get to..

exactly right. you will need a long as extension for that pita top bolt...other wise you'll never get out easy.

dont replace the starter with a reman one. when working for toyota i've never replaced a whole starter in my life, just replace the contacts which should not be more then $50-60.00.

get the kit for both side of the contacts AND the plunger. after you take the starter out rebuilding it is pretty common sense and should take no more then 15 minutes.

i'm not associated to or advertising for this place, but it is dirt cheap oem parts for dealer costs. if you dont see the parts just call them.
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213710