Starter removal

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Hi,

Tried to remove my starter earlier to get at a welch/freeze/core plug from underneath, the top nut is rounded to buggery! There is NO WAY I am removing the intake manifold again to get in there!:cry:
Anyone got any cool suggestions on how to get a hold on it? Can't really get a hold on the bolt head behind the bellhousing either.
It's in a difficult spot, I am leaning towards an oxy torch at this time.........

Regards, Andrew.

Jason T

JZS161 Aristo TT
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland New Zealand..Aotearoa
There is NO WAY I am removing the intake manifold again to get in there!:cry:

Why the hell would you do that for :3d_frown:

Right hand drive is a quick job I removed starter cleaned contacts refited 30 min max

Buy some good tools use a single hex 14mm extension and ratchet ring spanner at bell end

If FUBR nut tap on a 13 mm

Dont hit the knock sensor

I have a late starter with bolts from bellhousing I use a ring spanner and take out top bolt first

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Ummm, re read my post. The nut is fucked.:nono: Knocking a socket onto it is not an option, due to the fact you CAN'T GET A HAMMER IN THERE. Never mind the bolt is on ridiculously tight.
I have decent tools, thanks for assuming I don't. I have a selection of 1/2" 12pt sockets, 3/8" 12 point sockets and 3/8" six point long sockets.
Yeah, it's a real easy job, I can barely get a ring spanner near the bolt, can't get leverage if I use a ring spanner. Using a ratchet, can't get leverage as every bloody piece of useless plumbing and wiring hanging under the friggin intake manifold is in teh way, preventing a decent pull on the ratchet handle, that is if you can get your arms in there in the first place!
I removed the intake manifold four weeks ago to change a head gasket, and that is why I mentioned it. never again!

Regards, Andrew.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Nick M said:
You won't remove the intake manifold, but you will burn it with a torch? Cletus is back in full force at Supramania.

Yep! Let's see...two hours work, with Toyota's wonderfully complicated wiring running all over and through the intake, plus vacuum plumbing and various cooling lines or five minutes with an oxy to carefully knock the nut/bolt off. Tough choice.
An oxy torch can be controlled very nicely to get a nut off, you should try it sometime. It's far from a dodgey way to deal with something, but you wouldn't know if you haven't done it.
I think I'm going to sell this car as soon as it's holding coolant, I have never owned a more difficult car to work on, and I've owned a Rover and a Jaguar...........I really don't quite understand the whole Supra thing at the moment.
I mean jesus, it took three days to get a head off and on, that's not right.

Regards, Andrew.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Typhoon said:
I think I'm going to sell this car as soon as it's holding coolant, I have never owned a more difficult car to work on, and I've owned a Rover and a Jaguar...........I really don't quite understand the whole Supra thing at the moment.
I mean jesus, it took three days to get a head off and on, that's not right.

Regards, Andrew.

This is anything but a hard car to work on. Jaguar is one of the shittiest products sold, funny you should metion it.

You can't get a wrench in there, but you can can get a torch without burning anything else. Sweet. And no, I am an automotive technician. A torch is not a part of the tools used. Or at least I was.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
I can get a wrench in there, but I can't get leverage on the damn thing. That is the issue.
At least with a torch, you can get in there, heat up the nut and oxidise it, no leverage required for that, and nothing close by to burn either, nearest wiring is several inches away, and that unplugs easily. Not talking a 12" flame here!:biglaugh:
I actually thought my Jaguar was very well engineered, they just weren;t designed for ease of service. I'd put removing an XK cylinder head up there with a 7MGTE head removal...........
Anyway, I am going to give the smaller socket a go, but dont hold out much hope for it.
I'm just at the stage with this car where I have had enough, sorry if I have been a bit abrupt with previous posts. My apologies!
I have owned teh car two months, driven it about four hours total and it has been in my garage unuseable for the rest of the time.

Regards, Andrew.

sk6471

Quietly Lurking
May 28, 2005
Texas
Yep! Let's see...two hours work, with Toyota's wonderfully complicated wiring running all over and through the intake, plus vacuum plumbing and various cooling lines or five minutes with an oxy to carefully knock the nut/bolt off. Tough choice.
If you just removed the upper intake manifold a few weeks ago you shouldn't have that much trouble doing it again. New vacuum lines should slide right on and off. If you remove the IAC and throttle from the intake and leave them in the engine bay you won't have to disconnect any coolant lines or most of the sensors. The wiring harness can stay right where it is.
I wouldn't risk catching a fuel line on fire with a torch, but to each their own. If you do catch your car on fire please take pictures.:naughty:

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Yeah the alternator removal is a great idea, I will definitely try that! I have the extensions to do it too.
I haven't even looked at teh car today, I am letting it sit and rot!:evil2:
Nah, just calming down for a few days. I don't want to go in there and lose my temper, nothing will be gained from that.
* EDIT Actually, I can't really fault the car at all, any car could have blown a welch plug, and the head gasket is a known issue. many models of cars have known head gasket issues.
Just annoyed because it's such a nice bloody car apart from these things!

Regards, Andrew.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
yeah dude, you really need to take a step back and let it cool down for a day or two. The supra is FAR FAR FAR FAR from the most difficult car I have ever worked on, granted the starter is a pita, but its not really THAT bad.

it'll be easier when ya come back to it :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have removed and replaced the starter in the driveway without a lift or powertools. But I also did not have a rounded nut. Removing the alternator is worth a try. Don't damage the vacuum switching valves or lines when you go in there.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Yeah, that nut head is as rounded as I've ever seen a nut! Got some damn torque on the bolt too.....
I am going to pull the alternator tomorrow evening and just have a leisurely go at that bolt with a decent 1/2" socket and a FBH! I don't need to tell you guys how a stuck bolt in a difficult spot can ruin your entire day. Yes the starter should be a fairly straightforward job......
Then I can get at the welch plug, and THEN I can see if teh engine survived the big overheat(I think it did). All this for a $3 brass plug!:aigo:

Regards, Andrew.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
OH yeah man I have an 89 turbo supra with tems and it sucked so bad takeing off that starter

took us 4 hours and we broke a knock sensor doing it so beware

You will be crying later if you broke that piece of crap

Yeah toyota with all there crap and everything being do compact but we did it

as for that bolt thats fucked

I don't even know if you can cut with a torch without burning yourself or burnning the block or wireing

if your car feels like it hesitates after you are done

that means your knock sensor is broke

good luck man

-STEVE

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Starter is out! Friggin yay!:boink:
Hammered the crap out of a cheapo 13mm socket I bought just for this purpose, I threw it away with the nut. Getting the alternator off allowed me access with my 24" breaker bar, and that, combined with jamming a ring spanner on the end of the bolt, got the bugger. All I needed was some leverage.
Got the welch plug out too, some knob had put it in really badly, it was cocked in the bore, a time bomb waiting to go off!
Now I can finally get a new plug in the block.

Regards, Andrew.