Starter Relay

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Reston, Virginia, United States
I'm having starter issues, and I want to change my starter relay. According to my manual, it's supposed to be in the passenger side kickpanel (assuming the one down by a passenger's right foot). I must be blind because I do not see it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks. :1zhelp:

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I looked it up in the manual for you. But its confusing. It seems to say that there is only a starter relay in A/T Canadian models only?? it doesnt tell you where it is otherwise..

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=Main&Page=22

Main_022.gif

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
Unfortunately, no. My car only wants to start when it's cold. When i drive somewhere and turn it off, sometimes it will not start unless it sits for a couple hours. After searching here and at mkiitech i decided to try changing the starter realy.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
the contactor or whatever in the starter is most likey at fault. youll have to pull the starter. somebody else whos done this should chim in here soon to give you the whole details on it.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
JL7mgte said:
I've been through 2 new (rebuilt / Autozone) starters. Maybe it's time to give Toyota some money with a factory direct version...

call mark at vancouvertoyota(.com) he will get you a great price on a new starter. tell him your from supra mania

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
skim1040 said:
What other syptoms is it having when it doesn't start? Do you have power everywhere else? Does it try to turn the motor over?

I can jump start the car fine. I have power for eveything. New battery and alternator. I hear the click of the starter relay and the buzz of the electronics and fuel pump when I turn the key, but nothing else. Only happens when the car is warm.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
My starter is acting strange too. It will only crank with a complete full charge nothing less. If the battery gets to lower 12v the start will not crank.
If the car is at 12.70v it will probably turn over. If its at 12.10v or something like that it will just click.

But I had a similar problem to your car. When the engine was hot and i tried to start it, i could just hear the relay click. Nothing else. Had to wait for it to cool to start it. But the problem got worse and worse. is this the case for you? Turns out the plunger in the start that hits down on the starter contacts wasnt getting a good connection. I used a wire brush to clean the pitting and and corrosion off the plunger and it was fine.

and i guess it was worse when it was hot somehow. heh.

mizuboi

Feb 26, 2007
cypress
when it is warm everything expands therefore less movement because of extra friction inside the starter i had that problem too but i just went to junk yard and got a starter and now it works fine

JL7mgte

Mar 31, 2005
TurboWarrior said:
My starter is acting strange too. It will only crank with a complete full charge nothing less. If the battery gets to lower 12v the start will not crank.
If the car is at 12.70v it will probably turn over. If its at 12.10v or something like that it will just click.

But I had a similar problem to your car. When the engine was hot and i tried to start it, i could just hear the relay click. Nothing else. Had to wait for it to cool to start it. But the problem got worse and worse. is this the case for you? Turns out the plunger in the start that hits down on the starter contacts wasnt getting a good connection. I used a wire brush to clean the pitting and and corrosion off the plunger and it was fine.

and i guess it was worse when it was hot somehow. heh.

I'll look at that, but I even get this problem sometimes after just driving 5 miles. Hit the key and click. Really sucks.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
20' of 15+ year old wire doesn't help.

I run a 30a relay right at the starter so the only load the stock wiring/relay see is the coil in it and it 100% cures any problems I've had in the past.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The theft computer also includes a relay for the starter (inside the computer). To test it you can bypass it by disconnecting the blue-orange wire at the starter relay (terminal 3) in the right kick panel and grounding terminal 3 of the starter relay directly.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
ok guys i just figured out my problem. Someone suggested on supraforums. The little wire that clips into the starter was no good on mine. If i jump it to the battery it turns over. I guess ill be wiring a switch to the cabin for now.