starter issues

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i have a question for any 7m guys... i bought a reman starter in august, and it went bad this march. i had to tap it with a hammer to get it to start.. i just took it back and got it warrantied for another one, and it lasted all of 3 days. i had to tap it to start it today.
can anything with my car cause these to go bad, or are they just shitty $60 starters? the way i see it is, if it starts with a tap then it's not a wiring issue. i would think it's something in the starter, like the brushes or what not.

if anyone has any advice on what i should do, please tell me. do i look for a toyota starter, or do i buy a more expensive aftermarket one?
thanks......

Emeraldage

Oct 13, 2011
Ohio
Check the starter ground that runs toward it? Could be that when you tap it your wiggling the ground wire a bit. Just a thought.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It's most likely the cheap starter. Try to find a good used one.

If it starts after tapping on it it's clearly the starter and not the wiring.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gsxr141;2000672 said:
i bought a reman starter in august, and it went bad this march. i had to tap it with a hammer to get it to start.. i just took it back and got it warrantied for another one, and it lasted all of 3 days. i had to tap it to start it today....if anyone has any advice on what i should do, please tell me.

Toyota reman starters cost more money, and for good reason.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
jetjock;2000759 said:
Yep. Ya buy cheap, ya get cheap...

thanks for that. it was the only one available anywhere near me. i wanted the better one but they said it would be a month away.
instead of your usual smart ass comments, why not come up with some useful information.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
gsxr141;2000781 said:
thanks for that. it was the only one available anywhere near me. i wanted the better one but they said it would be a month away.
instead of your usual smart ass comments, why not come up with some useful information.

Buy it on the internet if the local dealer sucks that bad.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
carquest sells denso remans at 89$ through worldpac. same thing toyota will sell you. and it should take a day to bring.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
gsxr141;2000781 said:

considering you bought a cheap starter and it looks like it failed, wasn't his comment pretty much THE most informative thing that could have been said in the thread? Granted not what you wanted to hear, but does provide useful information.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i bought what was available. i would expect a part to last longer than a few days. if they had the better one available we wouldn't be having this conversation.
r=the problem isn't my cheapness here, it's the shoddy quality of the parts that are out there.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Most Toyota dealers can get the parts next day. They have to be ordered by 3pm to have next day.

Have you confirmed you are getting 12volts to signal wire during a no start condition. Just saying all the starters may not be bad.

Good luck.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
super51fan;2000948 said:
Most Toyota dealers can get the parts next day. They have to be ordered by 3pm to have next day.

Have you confirmed you are getting 12volts to signal wire during a no start condition. Just saying all the starters may not be bad.

Good luck.
yeah. the starter clicks. i thought about the wire problem, but tapping the starter wouldn't fix that.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ive had way too many problems with cheap starters. Used to warrenty them out all the time when i worked for a independent shop. Same for alternators. Get factory reman or good used. 7m starters are pretty beefy and rarely go out.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
hvyman;2000963 said:
Ive had way too many problems with cheap starters. Used to warrenty them out all the time when i worked for a independent shop. Same for alternators. Get factory reman or good used. 7m starters are pretty beefy and rarely go out.

i'm going to take it to golden alternator and have them rebuild it the right way. he said he's seen this with tons of "cheap" reman starters. he promised me i would never have this problem again. it just sucks that people put out shitty products.

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
gsxr141;2000954 said:
yeah. the starter clicks. i thought about the wire problem, but tapping the starter wouldn't fix that.
If its the common issue with our starting systems then yes it would.
When it just clicks with the key, try running a direct wire from the sig terminal on the starter to the battery and see what happens.

James T

Apr 22, 2011
Adelaide
I had the same staring issue with the OEM starter. Had an electrician pull it down and replace the brushes. Lasted a week. Turns out the starter solenoid was not getting sufficient amps to engage. I ended up running a fused relay to the starter from the starter positive terminal.
No issues in two years. :)

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I had the starter issue.. pulled my ignition switch out, pulled it apart. Cleaned it out and viola, starts every time. May not be your issue though. Drop test the circuit. It's not hard.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk