Starter install

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
Four or five years ago i replaced my starter. I didnt enjoy that and dreading doing it again. One of those repairs you say to yourself, ah dont mind paying someone to do this one. All i used was a long extension, swival. Well any ho, who has a better way than me, i dont have a engine lift, or able to drop the trany. thanks

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
i dropped the tail of the tranny and i got a 3 foot extention and a swivel socket then for the nuts i made a 14mm wrench extra short. and with a lot of cussing it comes out pretty quick for me.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Get some ratcheting wrenches they work pretty good for that tight spot. Also get a starter for a newer(91) supra the has the threaded housing, that way you just need a wrench on the bolt no nut to hold in place.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I hit it from the top. I put a wrench on the nut side to hold the nut in place. Then use a socket wrench on the fire wall side with a small pipe. To extend the handle. Works great.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you lift the car up enough you might be able to get one hand with a wrench and try to wedge it in place and then use the other hand either with a impact or ratchet with like 1-2.5 of extensions with a 14mm swivel at the end.

Thats how i did it but im small with small arms.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
car was on a lift when i did it on my car. A friend who had a shop helped with it. I put on a 92 starter.

Had to drop the tranny mount
remove the stock engine brace
i had to hold a wrench on the nut side while he hit it with the impact on the other.

On my friends car we just said fuck it and took off upper intake manifold and used a ratchet with an extension for one side.
The other person held the wrench. The Pre91 Starters are a complete BITCH.

etoney1

Apr 1, 2005
maryland
Iwannadie, jdmma70, thanks for that tip bout using a 92 starter. Im sure thats gona help. Hvyman i have fat hands in arms lol, thats why i hated doing this 5 years ago.
Dsm_tuner260 i might think of the tranny drop. Once the north east heatweave stops I called napa and they have one is stock. I better request a 92.

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
damn wish i knew that when i bought my new starter it works thats all i care. heat wave is almost over here tomorrow is the last day in the 90s then its back to 80s and rain more rain and lots more rain. tired of rain.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Could probably either use Helicoils or Keenserts to add threads to pre89 Starters to make life easier.

I used to use a bunch of extensions and drop the rear mount and go in over the trans case up in the tunnel.

Dave C

Jun 21, 2010
Idaho
I got to the starter on my 87 from below. I was able to reach both hands up to the starter while on my back with feet toward the passenger side. If your arms are long enough you can too without removing any other parts.