Star Trek Movie - Love it? Hate it?

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Saw it tonight, yep... was good... at least to me and I've loved most of the Star Trek series (except Enterprise)

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Kai opinion doesn't count because he's british.....

...but seriously, I think the effect was well done and the story line at the end does push for a follow-up movie. It's a damn shame people aren't going to see it just because somebody else hated it, form your own opinion folks.

MkIII_Jeff

squirelly wrath!
Mar 2, 2008
Roseville, CA
I saw it today. I didn't feel it was epic, but thought it was still decent. I saw Wolverine yesterday, and my only real hope was that ST didn't suck as bad as that.

TopSecret

"Fudge you, butthole!"
Sep 4, 2005
BC
Saw it yesterday, thought it was a good movie.

Yeah, the story is a little rushed and they probably could have made two movies out of it had they given more details but I still enjoyed it. I laughed, I felt for the characters, I liked the action... time went by quickly, so to me it was good entertainment.

Absolutely loved McCoy and Scotty.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
I went a saw it at Imax. I really enjoyed it. I've followed the trek universe since I was a kid, starting with the original series. I feel the movie is a solid addition to the series.

I think that of all the actors, Karl Urban captured the personality of his character the best, Dr. McCoy. I really enjoyed his performance.

Overall it was worth my time and my money to see it in the theatre.

Also when a ship goes to warp in a 12000 watt Imax theatre, that is an impressive thing.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Damn, now I need to go see it in an Imax. I loved the movie! In fact, I have yet to actualy talk to someone who hasn't. Karl Urban and Simon Pegg nailed their roles, and Zachary Quinto was born to play Spock.

It is kicking ass at the box office. http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090511/en_movies_eo/123125

" Star Trek made more on Friday ($26.8 million, per Exhibitor Relations) than nine of the 10 previous Trek movies made in their respective opening weekends. If estimates hold, it'll have made more in 72 hours than the 2002's Star Trek: Nemesis, the last pre-Abrams film, made in 91 days of release ($43.3 million)."

DsBetterHalf

The Pretty Doward
Jan 25, 2008
Alachua, FL
Doward and I went to see it last night. I rather enjoyed it. I think they went a little overboard with the 'bloom effects' (the flashes of white light), and I thought it felt a little rushed, but overall I liked it.

Might see if I can drag my dad out of bed sometime in the near future (he's on bed rest, but is finally being allowed to get up and make small excursions) and take him and my mom to see it :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yeah, the first 20-30 minutes were just a freaking bloom show for NO REASON AT ALL. That got on my nerves, but whatever.

Also, I thought it was kind of cheap how they rebooted the entire set like that. Eh. I liked the guy that played Kirk (in light of how they portrayed his childhood vs the original ST) And yes, Urban and Pegg nailed their roles. Not enough screen time for Pegg, IMHO.

They left QUITE a few plot threads just... ignored. That irked me greatly.

I'll sum it up as such - it's a good start to what could be a great spin on a classic series.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
Doward;1321206 said:
I'll sum it up as such - it's a good start to what could be a great spin on a classic series.

I have a feeling this is just the beginning of such series....oh btw, my fiancee's mom, my fiancee, and I are going to see it again only in Imax this time! :naughty: