Standard flywheel with 6 puck sprung clutch

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
Hi all,

I'm trying to find out whether any of you are running pucked clutch disks with the stock (though machined obviously..) flywheel and to what effect?

I am unsure what compound is used on the clutch disk I have, it's an ACT 6240607 which is their sprung centre 6 puck disk. How will it go biting into the stock flywheel material? I didn't really want to go with an aftermarket flywheel due to the cost and the decreased driveability (will be hard enough with the 6 puck)

After having my flywheel machined and installed with a stock clutch kit last time, after the teardown there were signs of stress over the flywheel, not hot spots but fine hairline cracks appearing in places... My theory is the clutch must have been seriously heated up in the past. And thus softened the flywheel in places *shrugs*
I have another standard flywheel I'll be using this time, but I'm still wary as to whether it'll handle the punishment.

Any past experiences with this would be great to hear,
Thanks everyone. Ash.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
im using an rps max series. 6 puck, sprung hub with 3200lbs pressure plate and stock flywheel. i was also thinking about using lightweight flywheel until i saw the loos of torque on a dyno with lightweight flywheel compared to stock. i read article that stock flywheel is better for a drag setup - wont loose as much rpm in between gears.(they used a 2j supra for example)

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
the previous owner of my car put an ACT 6 on stock flywheel and it bites BAD. for a daily driver it gets kind of aggravating but not horrible

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
So lots of car jerking and whip lash effect? In traffic am i going to have to leave a couple of car lengths in front of me before i take off to prevent rear ending someone?:biglaugh:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Learn to drive the car...

I can hold mine on a hill easily with my 6 puck clutch...

Stock flywheel will make it EASIER to slip it nicely compared to a lightweight flywheel.

Action Stage 3 clutch with a stock flywheel.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
On a previous set-up I ran the OEM flywheel with RPS PP and a 6 puck disk. It held fine for DD'ing and track use but not good for the power I have now. If it has cracks, you'll be needing a new one. ;)

Duane

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
RPS max stg 3 here as well.

Someone could DD this clutch no problem with a stock FW.

I did however (once) slipped it too hot trying to build boost off the line and accidentally welded the disc to the PP or FW... it's never been confirmed as I broke it loose with the transmission.

If they're still made the way mine is today... I'd recommend it.

kemicalx

BHGBTDT
Dec 12, 2005
Geelong, Vic
Thanks for all the replys guys, gives me with confidence. And yep Duane I'm not giong to be re-surfacing the damaged flywheel, i have another one (that has it's share of ware too admittedly.. just not cracks :p) i'll be getting it machined.