Standalone help

sc babe

Nov 16, 2008
jerzey
I have a 1jz in a sc400 the ecu went bad. I want to get a standalone i have been told to go with the e-manage ultimate ,hks f-con even back to the stock ecu i just want 1 that will do the job for street n track and the capability to make mods with a laptop from the car (dont think the f-con does that) can i get some help please ...... Any and all info will help

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
SC babe

welcome to the forums.

My first question to you is do you fully understand what an EMS does and what makes one EMS different from a different EMS manufacture? :)

As for "tweaking" with laptop while at the track. Unless the motor is not behaving right, do not do it. That is the short street to blowing up the motor. That is one thing you really do not want to be mucking with especially if you are unfamiliar with what tuning is and how to do it.

What is your budget?

sc babe

Nov 16, 2008
jerzey
budget is around 1500. as for the tuning i just wanna be ale to use the laptop if i have more additions and upgrades which i will ... for the differences i have been reading up on them and that is where i get confused on what to get understanding they they control the basics ie fuel timing ignition etc but as far as all the addition junk thats where im stuck

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have the stinger standalone and it has served me well. It doesn't offer as many options as the motec, but I dont' need them. Aaron at www.driftmotion.com can make you a stinger with a plug and play harness for around $1100.00 and then it will only take you about fifteen minutes to hook it up. It's easy to tune also. Their is a thread just for the stinger ems in the 1jz/2jz section. Good luck with your choice.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sc babe;1181582 said:
budget is around 1500. as for the tuning i just wanna be ale to use the laptop if i have more additions and upgrades which i will ... for the differences i have been reading up on them and that is where i get confused on what to get understanding they they control the basics ie fuel timing ignition etc but as far as all the addition junk thats where im stuck

and how do you know how much to add take away and in what part of the map? How much additional fuel injection pulse width is needed in the respective maps? How much timing to add if it is not knock limited already and where? If you can not answer those questions with a very specific answer, be prepared to blow the motor up in short order.

The additional "junk" are features. And since you do not need them then it makes the choice of an EMS quite simple, what is within your budget, how is their support and do tuners around your area know how to tune it?