Standalone Decision... Help!

Emilian

Sep 1, 2010
Farmington Hills, MI
I am in the market for a standalone EMS. For the longest time, I had my mind set on the AEM EMS V1, but after doing some reading, a lot of people keep saying not to buy it...

What would be the best PLUG N' PLAY standalone EMS that I could buy for around $1500 - $2000?

This is for a 1988 7M-GTE Supra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

grifter679

Dec 14, 2008
San Francisco
haltech doesnt support multiplex ignitor thats found on the 7mgte, so that leaves you with AEM, unless you want to rewire a different ignitor, then might as well ditch plug and play and get any standalone and just build a new harness

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
A lot of people say to stay away from the AEM V1; but, how many of them had a bad experience?

I did research outside of SM and found a much more subjective opinion. Then I called just about EVERY tuning shop in my state and neighboring state to get their opinions/experiences.

I put a lot more stock in the testimonials of the tuning shops than I do of those people that say don't get one because I know of a guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy, that knows a chicken whose tail feathers fell out. You get my drift...

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My experience/reasearch into the AEM showed a couple things that should be done to make it work really really well.

1- Use a different ignitor, i.e. a DH61 from an IS300. It gets rid of the multiplex and drives the stock tach well.
2- Modify your wirinhg harness to use sequential injection. (you can also shave the unneeded circuits out of it at the same time (cold start/maf/etc) Easy to re-wire for a MAP sensor and FFIM at the same time.
3- Get a tuner that knows AEM well.
My experience is based off of my 91, which uses a different AEM unit, but I think they are still valid and may prove helpful to you! I wish you good luck with you choices :)

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
There was a thread on supraforums about the V1's failing. Some guys lost motors (some on board fuel control failure). Other guys have had a V1 since the beginning, and no issues.

I'd rather not take a chance.

CajunKenny;1694120 said:
I put a lot more stock in the testimonials of the tuning shops than I do of those people that say don't get one because I know of a guy that knows a guy, that knows a guy, that knows a chicken whose tail feathers fell out. You get my drift...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-120027.html
honestabe didn't see I was being sarcastic. Errol @ TPS said in a thread that if you get the V1 bad parts replaced, it will work for several days again. A lot of guys have jokes about the V1 for the reason of failures.

As GrimJack says, AEM did make one good product worth purchasing. The Wideband. Which doesn't work with my Stinger.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
toyotanos;1694355 said:
My experience/reasearch into the AEM showed a couple things that should be done to make it work really really well.

1- Use a different ignitor, i.e. a DH61 from an IS300. It gets rid of the multiplex and drives the stock tach well.
2- Modify your wirinhg harness to use sequential injection. (you can also shave the unneeded circuits out of it at the same time (cold start/maf/etc) Easy to re-wire for a MAP sensor and FFIM at the same time.
3- Get a tuner that knows AEM well.
My experience is based off of my 91, which uses a different AEM unit, but I think they are still valid and may prove helpful to you! I wish you good luck with you choices :)

Great info Steve!

My supporting comment is that the AEM CANNOT drive LOW IMPEDANCE injectors! Any used AEM should be sent to AEM for re-testing because if any of the previous owners drove low impedance injectors, then all of the drivers need to be replaced. The cost for re-testing is $75.00. That's cheap insurance!

When I call AEM regarding mine, I notified the "AEM Tech" that I was an Electronics Technician and asked for detailed circuit information. He was able to get me some details; but, not as much as I wanted. ;) I told him that I had pulled mine apart to take measurements and asked if there were any problem areas to look at. He told me that the only consistent problem they have seen with the AEM's is when low impedance injectors are used.

RacerXJ220;1694375 said:
There was a thread on supraforums about the V1's failing. Some guys lost motors (some on board fuel control failure). Other guys have had a V1 since the beginning, and no issues.

I'd rather not take a chance.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-120027.html
honestabe didn't see I was being sarcastic. Errol @ TPS said in a thread that if you get the V1 bad parts replaced, it will work for several days again. A lot of guys have jokes about the V1 for the reason of failures.

As GrimJack says, AEM did make one good product worth purchasing. The Wideband. Which doesn't work with my Stinger.

Great link!

I'm not saying that they don't have failures because they do!

In my research with tuning shops, one shop was not a fan of them. They referred to them as: AEM - Almost Engine Management.

The rest of the shops said that aside from 1-2 out of box failures, the AEM has been a reliable system.

Emilian: You've got a lot of great info to go through. Your decision should way heavily on how much local support you have for that particular unit. And, whatever you choose to purchase, if it's used, send it in for Re-Testing.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Hmm, I'm running low imp. injectors, but have had no issues with them! I am, however, using the stock injector resistor. I think very few computers made are capable of true peak and hold operation- they all run like saturated, but can drive low resistance injectors with a resistor in place.

Quote from AEM's setup manual:
The AEM PEMS requires the use of “saturated” or high-impedance fuel injectors. If “Peak and Hold” or low impedance injectors are to be used, an injector resistor must be used or you will damage the ECU. Resistors can be purchased from AEM. The PNP version of the AEM PEMS is configured for the stock injectors and no additional parts are required.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
^Exactly! I should've elaborated a bit more.

The shops that ran in to low impedance injector problems were on completely custom setups. Mainly honduhs.... They had no resistor so it over-drove the AEM unit.

You and I are both 91 and have the PnP Version... :)

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
WOOT! I think I've offered before, but if you need a base map to get the car driveable, lemme know- I have a lot of revisions, including my useless $450 professional tune X.X

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
CajunKenny;1694120 said:
A lot of people say to stay away from the AEM V1; but, how many of them had a bad experience?

I did research outside of SM and found a much more subjective opinion. Then I called just about EVERY tuning shop in my state and neighboring state to get their opinions/experiences.

I know for a fact that Jeff blew up three 2J's because of the AEM, and a couple of locals as well. The Vi-pec V88 is a nice unit and I know a few people running them and are flawless. :) The Hal-tech is also a good unit. I know 2 people running them.

Duane

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Emilian;1694681 said:
Change of plans.

There is a guy that lives close to me and he knows how to wire in and tune the Haltech Platinum Sport 2000.

I run the Haltech PS2000 and I havent had any problems. Runs great, but I ditched the stock ignitor and used the Haltech triple channel ignitor. Let me know how yours goes. Haltech's new EMS's havent been circulated long enough for everyone to know about them, but the shop I use swears by it and puts a Haltech in every Supra. They are also certified tuners for all of Haltech's EMS's, so that makes a big difference, which has already been stated. Just make sure that who ever tunes the car is confident with the software.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
Just to add a few of my thoughts.

Ive never lost an engine to an AEM. It's all I use. I've use the Haltech and its picky and buggy. Vipec never used it. ECU's don't blow engines, tuners do. If a Tuner tell the ECU to blow it up, the ECU will do it gladly. There are some well known tuners out there that say they can tune AEM and they can't, so it's not the ECU's fault. I've setup AEM's to help save an engine in case of a tune error or equipment malfunction. I have three daily driven cars on V1's making over 800 RWHP with no issues at all. One of them runs E85 daily and it starts up just like stock. Drives like a stock ECU and also all of them have functioning AC systems. Again major problems with AEM are the following:

1. Tuner
2. Bad wiring
3. wrong settings
4. User Error

I have used 87 Supra ecu's to run VVTi 2jz's with no issues. Also used Honda 30-1050 box to run VVTi 1jz's. That same box is used to run IS300's and also something similar is used to run E46 M3's turbo kits from HPF, so the ECU are reliable. Version 2 of the AEM is even better with a lot of stuff that will be added to it as time passes. lots of features that are software enabled that AEM work on for years to get it working smoothly.

Some say V2 is as bad? well I sold 4 boxes. Two we tuned the other where tuned by another "good tuner". The two we didn't tune had a horrible idle and cars would stall in the middle of the intersection. Both of those cars came to us and the Tune was all over the place with wrong settings all over the place. Problem tuner and settings, not AEM's fault.

FYI did you know that the pikes peak car that Rhys Millen runs uses an AEM 30-1050 EMS, Even with transmission problems, Rhys managed to get close to the record. He is going to shoot for it again and I think he will beat it this time.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I just recently bought into a AEM v1. I must say that I had alot of issues with it. Including sending it back for repairs which did fix the hardware problems I had with it. My biggest complaint is the start up calibration. They are horrible. Also you are going to need a tuner that not only knows AEM but probably knows the 7m as well. They do a much better job on other start-up calibrations compared to the 7m. For instance... The injector phasing is set up to fire all at the same time.

I unfortunately paid $ for a tune that was really poor. The tuner said he could do it no problem, but when I got there I had to actually show him some things. He seemed to be more comfortable with other software (chips mostly) That is probably my biggest issue.

I am now tuning myself and I must say that if you read alot and stick with it, You will have success. My car runs much better than it use to. (still not perfect)