Stand alone? What works, what doesn't!

FlikRacing

Banned
Apr 2, 2008
Michigan
I am not really sure, what stand alone management system I should but, and I really do not know how it works. I imagine you get the factory setting on the new system first? Then you can change them?

I have no clue but would love to learn how it works, if anyone would take the time to give me a site or there knowledge that wou:nono:ld be great.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
A "standalone" ECU is basically a stripped-down version of the stock computer. They generally only control fuel delivery and spark timing and they're capable of controlling those functions for virtually any engine. They're not engineered to work with every other part of the car like the stock one...they basically "stand alone".

They generally won't work all the accessories in the same way and they don't have the sophisticated programming and hardware to pass emissions tests over 100Ks of miles. You can tweak most of them to pass a sniffer if you need to, but that's not really what they're made to do. Most standalone ECUs are essentially blank when you get them, but you can usually get some sort of basic "map" (data set to fill in the needed parameters) to get you in the ballpark.

Your questions is pretty broad...I hope I've answered at least some of it. If you understand how a factory ECU works, you'll understand how a standalone works. They're all the same, functionally...the standalone is just simpler and you can adjust it yourself very easily.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
As turbojoe stated. You question is broad and VAGUE.

We need to know a couple of things.

1. Budget?
2. Are you doing any racing? If so what type?
3. What are you looking out of a standalone to do for you?
4. Do you have MANDATORY emmisions testing where you are at? If so, what is being tested, like just emmisions (NJ etc) or connecting to check for CODES (Cali)?

If you can answer those TRUTHFULLY then we can start recommending something. Otherwise it is just a braod statement.

Another thing. High HP can be accomplished with ANY standalone and even the stock TCCS, so that is not a valid answer for #3 ;)

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
FYI Figgie -- they only plug into OBD-II cars. They check it for emissions-related codes, but they also get the tach signal directly from the ECU...and they also check for emissions at 15 and 25mph under load with a standard sniffer setup.

The cool thing about it is that it's pretty easy to get a car to pass the "enhanced" test...emissions equipment doesn't work properly unless it's under a load and there's no load with a "two speed idle" test. They don't test at idle, so you can even get by with mild cams with some overlap. As long as it's clean under load, you're good.

FlikRacing

Banned
Apr 2, 2008
Michigan
figgie;1002886 said:
As turbojoe stated. You question is broad and VAGUE.

We need to know a couple of things.

1. Budget?
2. Are you doing any racing? If so what type?
3. What are you looking out of a standalone to do for you?
4. Do you have MANDATORY emmisions testing where you are at? If so, what is being tested, like just emmisions (NJ etc) or connecting to check for CODES (Cali)?

If you can answer those TRUTHFULLY then we can start recommending something. Otherwise it is just a braod statement.

Another thing. High HP can be accomplished with ANY standalone and even the stock TCCS, so that is not a valid answer for #3 ;)

I will want to spend about 1200.00
I do not race at tracks if that is what you mean, just a weekend warrior :D and a daily driver for now, I do not have emissions ( Michigan ) , I am looking to get rid of all the dumb wires in my engine bay, and also create a ( base map ) setting configuration to make the most safe horse power, I really would like to hook it up to a laptop and see all the parameters, that would help me benefit a lot there. It just kind of sucks when you have not a clue of how a stand alone works.

Shadow

87 1JZ-GTE Single Turbo
May 25, 2005
Windsor, Ct
I run a Haltech E11 V2 in my car and am quite happy with it. It's probably too advanced for someone who is just learning about Stand Anone Engine Management though. High end units like Motech, Haltech and others, require a harness to be built for the vehice and can be mind bogling to understand at first. If I were just getting into stand alone engine management, I would go with something you don't have to mess with the harness. The AEM unit just plugs into the factory harness which is much more simple then making your own harness. Though if you do end up going with a Haltech or Motech type unit, the engine bay will be free of all theose unwanted wires and sensors.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
You can make a plug-in adapter harness for pretty much any ECU if you want. It doesn't matter whether you consider your particular ECU to be "high end", any standalone will run...well..."stand alone", or use existing wiring. Like you said, it's neater to use a new harness, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the ECU.

BTW -- Haltech is "high end"? I guess that relative to one you build in your garage it is. :) They're a good quality, decent ECU -- a great deal for the money -- but they're not exactly at/near the top of the heap. Wanna see "high end"? Check the stuff they use for Cart/IRL, F1, WRC, etc. The ECU itself can run 10-20K or more. Some of the manufacturers even run their own proprietary ECUs...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
turbo joe;1021518 said:
You can make a plug-in adapter harness for pretty much any ECU if you want. It doesn't matter whether you consider your particular ECU to be "high end", any standalone will run...well..."stand alone", or use existing wiring. Like you said, it's neater to use a new harness, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the ECU.

BTW -- Haltech is "high end"? I guess that relative to one you build in your garage it is. :) They're a good quality, decent ECU -- a great deal for the money -- but they're not exactly at/near the top of the heap. Wanna see "high end"? Check the stuff they use for Cart/IRL, F1, WRC, etc. The ECU itself can run 10-20K or more. Some of the manufacturers even run their own proprietary ECUs...

32k for the Bosch 15.1. Not including Bosch Application support which is another 15K. ;)

<-- Seriously in the wrong line of work!

dylan

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2006
quebec
With your limited knowledge why not try looking at Reg Reimers TECH TOM he takes your old stock ecu and programs it for your application asks for all mods. and somehow reverse engineers the thing adds a few things and sends it back.This is at a cost of $550.00 not $1200 for the standalone and another $1000 in tuning This is the way I am going I refuse to pay for something twice....Later Barry

dylan

Supramania Contributor
May 29, 2006
quebec
turbo joe;1024358 said:
Those re-worked factory ECU setups are not exactly "user-friendly" to tune.
I think you should read the SONIC site founded by Reg Reimer or Look up TechTom or RCTS .The information in these sites will show that you do not need to program anything in these upgraded ecu if you fuck with it you void the warrenty you can buy other chips for it but it is set up per your performance upgrades and what you ask for...Very user friendly I will have one soon and plan to take my car to Calgary to have him tune it personally come Vacation ....Check out the sites..There will be questions later....Later Barry

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
If it's just a re-chipped/re-flashed stock ECU that's not programmable by the end user...then it's not really a standalone...is it?

FWIW -- having someone "tune" your car from a distance is a waste of time at best.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
dylan;1024433 said:
I think you should read the SONIC site founded by Reg Reimer or Look up TechTom or RCTS .The information in these sites will show that you do not need to program anything in these upgraded ecu if you fuck with it you void the warrenty you can buy other chips for it but it is set up per your performance upgrades and what you ask for...Very user friendly I will have one soon and plan to take my car to Calgary to have him tune it personally come Vacation ....Check out the sites..There will be questions later....Later Barry

I'll bite.

The techtom is hovering RIGHT around the price of the HKS F-Con V-Pro.

With techtom, you have Reg Reimer and that is about it. Both require the car to be there as anything else is a best guess.

With HKS F-Con V-Pro, you have any HKS dealer that deals with the F-Con pro. Lots more or those floating around.

Niether of the systems will be tuned via remote tuning, hardware needs to be local. Niether can the user change things incase something goes wrong (less likely with the HKS).

In the end.
HKS F-CON V-Pro > Techtom especially for the 1k price tag of the Techtom.

avp23

Mar 18, 2008
Washington
so what are you going to do figgie? im in the same boat as you. i want a stand alone but i dont want to spend more than a grand. so im searching for one.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
avp23;1028582 said:
so what are you going to do figgie? im in the same boat as you. i want a stand alone but i dont want to spend more than a grand. so im searching for one.

Me?

I already have a stand alone. :) I just am giving options out nothing more :)