STALX Supra - The Ultimate Time Attack MKIII

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
My Background

I purchased my first MK3 in 2004 for $300 ... ever since then I've purchased qute a few more Supras. In the last 5 years I actively participated in many motorsports events (AutoX ,TrackDays ,TimeAttacks) with my latest evolution car - LDZ supra

Objective of this build

The objective of this build would be to use all of my knowledge for MK3 Supras and build a car that would have the very best available chassis parts&setup with reliable 450RWHP JZ engine.

Plan to achieve this

To achieve this ,I would have to merge my TKO supra with my LDZ supra. Here is a pic of the 2 cars:

IMG_7314.jpg

TKO car Background and usability

The TKO car was originally build by Kirk Wagner and Todd Simson (TKO Motorsports). Kirk participated in many Midwest council time attacks ,from 2006 to 2008 he achieved 4 finishes in Top5 which was quite remarkable considering that the competition on the events was 100+ cars. I believe that he won at least one time attack championship in his class. The 7M-GTE engine poor reliability is what always held him back ,he eventually sold the car to me in 2009. Here is his famous video (on this forum at least;):

[video=youtube;zC_rhauk6Lo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_rhauk6Lo[/video]

I did the last tune for the car and Dynoed it at CHI2K9. It made 391RWHP with some unacceptable ,but typical curves for MAFT PRO & 7M-GTE combo (lol don't you love these spirals!). Video here ,Graph Here.

After 20 years ,and many Motorsports event the engine was pretty much gone. The end of the days for this car came on a Gingerman trackday ,where the BlowBy finally killed the crazy expensive turbo (Kirk Paid $2500+ for this Kit from Sound Performance in 2001!). Here is the last picture of the TKO car:

6216_101681076512443_100000116529450_48023_7479975_n.jpg

From the TKO car I would take only the best:

-Chassis (already caged) Kirk was a professional welder ,and TKO Motorsports main work was to build cages. Thus the car is caged pretty good. They used S&W cage as a baseline (DOM tube SCCA spec). It is gusseted to the top of the A-piller and the B piller. Of course it misses the extension to the front subFrame as seen on the DTM Supras ,but I could add these later. The lack of rust ,wide fenders ,fiberGlass hood ,completely gutted interior ,cut out doors - makes this the perfect Chassis . His weight was in the low 3100lbs ( 3,312 with him in the car) which is pretty good with 50-100lbs of improvement room:

Cage:

DSC01382.jpg

Doors:

DSC01376.jpg

-Front Brakes. He had the VERY BEST brake kit ever available for MK3. Stillen BBK kit with Brembo F50 calipers and 5000 rotors.

DSC01385.jpg

- Coilovers: Buddy Club racing spec dampers with 18kg front 10kg rear springs.

LDZ car Background and usability

The car was pretty much well described in this thread :

I would take everything from it ,minus the Chassis ,front brakes and coil overs. Here are the inserting parts:

- Rear SubFrame ,heavily reinforced and all arms fully adjustable:

IMG_5456.jpg

IMG_5394.jpg

- Custom Adjustable UPC (Originally from Dr Jonez Car):

IMG_6794.jpg

- MKIV rear BBK (with Jake Reed mounting hardware ,again original Source Dr Jonez Car):

- 1.5JZ engine. GT35R + basically stock bottom end and head with Crower Stage 1 cams ,Titanium Retainers and Crower Valve springs.

Last Dyno was 387rwhp again at CHI2K9 (Video here):

15JZ.jpg

Note the 80%+ powerBand when used with R154!!!

More work in progress images later...

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
2nded. I take it this is a dedicated track only car? If so I'd gut the dash like I did and remove every remnant of the heat and A/C system. Remove all the wiring, hoses, brackets, etc... I've done 90% of this work already and have shaved off 30+ lbs (probably closer to 40 or 50, but I can't remember the weight of the heater core and the A/C radiator). My dash is pretty much a shell at this point. In fact, I'd take it a step further and just remove the entire passenger side of the dash, if not the whole thing all together to save even more weight. Mind you you'll have to create a custom mount for some components, but that's minor. Also remove the windshield sprayer system and such. Lots of little things people forget about like that stuff.

Is that a single or twin-scroll turbo? Will you be using a quick spool valve as well? Since you only want ~450 RWHP why not go for a 60-1 twin-scroll turbo with a .57 A/R? This will help with throttle response big time. I run a Driftmotion 60-1 .70 A/R twin scroll turbo on my 1JZ and it spools pretty fast. I'll have it fully tuned in the next couple weeks so I will be able to show you the results.

Also, are you going to stitch-weld the chassis?

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Here is what makes the difference when breaking with a BBK ,especially the Brembo F50 calipers:

Master.jpg

Master2.jpg

And another "a must" for a competition MK3 :

IMG_6799.jpg

!Master..jpgMaster2..jpg

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
So I guess you wont be running this year. I was hoping we could go to the same event sometime so we could baseline our cars off of each other.

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
honestabe;1643608 said:
2nded. I take it this is a dedicated track only car? If so I'd gut the dash like I did and remove every remnant of the heat and A/C system. Remove all the wiring, hoses, brackets, etc... I've done 90% of this work already and have shaved off 30+ lbs (probably closer to 40 or 50, but I can't remember the weight of the heater core and the A/C radiator). My dash is pretty much a shell at this point. In fact, I'd take it a step further and just remove the entire passenger side of the dash, if not the whole thing all together to save even more weight. Mind you you'll have to create a custom mount for some components, but that's minor. Also remove the windshield sprayer system and such. Lots of little things people forget about like that stuff.

Is that a single or twin-scroll turbo? Will you be using a quick spool valve as well? Since you only want ~450 RWHP why not go for a 60-1 twin-scroll turbo with a .57 A/R? This will help with throttle response big time. I run a Driftmotion 60-1 .70 A/R twin scroll turbo on my 1JZ and it spools pretty fast. I'll have it fully tuned in the next couple weeks so I will be able to show you the results.

Also, are you going to stitch-weld the chassis?

Removing the underDash stuff is not on the agenda now ,maybe next year.

The spool-up strategy for a turbo competition car is important with the transients begin most important (transients in spool zones ,lets say over 5000rpm) ,trust me ball bearing GT35R is one of the best choices.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

supraguru05;1644073 said:
So I guess you wont be running this year. I was hoping we could go to the same event sometime so we could baseline our cars off of each other.

Guru ,this year supra was pretty much off - next year I hope that I will be back. We could do a test-and-tune day at Gingerman Raceway in the spring ,they have these every week there and the track is kind of in between us?:)

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

87M-GTE;1644161 said:
Looks Awesome Alex!!
Cant wait to see the car in person!

Subsribed

Sam

Thanks. I hope that I will get it ready for the next year's Chicago meet ;)

spencyg

Oct 7, 2010
Maine, USA
LordDigital;1643581 said:
The 7M-GTE engine poor reliability is what always held him back...

I did the last tune for the car and Dynoed it at CHI2K9. It made 391RWHP with some unacceptable ,but typical curves for MAFT PRO & 7M-GTE combo (lol don't you love these spirals!).

Can you comment on these two points highlighted bold? I'm about to start building my first 7M-GTE after debating a V8 engine swap and deciding to go with the stock straight 6. Just curious why he/you consider the 7M unreliable, and how the MAFT Pro factors into this.

Thanks for humoring a relative Newby to the 7M club.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
LordDigital;1643581 said:
My Background

After 20 years ,and many Motorsports event the engine was pretty much gone. The end of the days for this car came on a Gingerman trackday ,where the BlowBy finally killed the crazy expensive turbo...

So the engine lasted 20 years? I'm confused.
Will you fill us in with the story of the demise of this 20 year race performing 7m? I can totally see how 20 years without a ring job can help kill a turbo, and I can understand 20 years on any engine would reduce oil pressure, together with the low pressure to begin with.
I'm surprised it lasted 20 years racing around at this point.