Stalling after higher RPMs

89MkIII

targa'd tank
Mar 30, 2005
WI
I was just logging onto post about this - the same issue just started for me yesterday. I got into boost a little bit, through it into neutral, coasted to a stop sign and then noticed my dash was lit up and the car was no longer running. 10 minutes later after regular driving (RPM's under 3500), she stalls out at another stop sign. Weird thing is there is no warning signs - suddenly car is dead.

Idle is fine, mods include full 3" exhaust, HKS sport turbo, HKS air filter, and a turbo timer. I know I'm running lean - hence fuel cutoff at full throttle - so that should knock out the running rich theory. My first thought was the ignition switch going bad? Maybe installation of the turbo timer put a little too much stress on a 16 year old switch?

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
MAF? Full of oil? My friend has the same problem. His RPM's at idle is high and he stalls everytime he stops. But he's NA.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
I checked the terminals on the ISC and they are within spec (10 to 30 Ohms as specified in the TSRM). I saw around 22 to 23 Ohms for the resistance for the two checks.

I didn't take the ISC completely apart. But what another member said about "giving it a squirt" so the car does not stall is exactly what I need to do in order not to stall. When I approach idle say from a long run to a stop sign or a stop light, I give the car some gas (very lightly) so that it does not stall.

But the terminal check was OK. I guess I really need to take it all apart and see if the inside is OK. That probably needs replaced or cleaned.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
Timing gun question:

Any suggestions as to where to buy it or what manufacturer? I don't have one and never used one. I need the experience.

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
You can get a timing gun at Sears from any where from $30-$70. They are realy good to have if you work on your car alot and very easy to use.

All you need to do is hook it up to the number 1 Plug wire and hook it up to the battery. Power and ground. And point it at the crank to see your setting. And adjust by your CPS.

If you get a timing light read the tsrm because you have to put it in diag mode ( the same way you check for error codes) while you set the timing.

Pretty easy if you have some kind of mechanic skills.

smagnotta

SuprSal
Apr 5, 2005
WashPa
OK seems easy. I think you have to short out something in the diagnostic block - some people use a paperclip for this step in setting the timing.

I called Toyota - they want $370 :eek3: for a new ISC. They said you have to buy the whole thing so if your ISC guts are no good... too bad...

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
eh, junkyard, or take it apart and actually clean it really well...

-shaeff

JtWo

Sniper
Apr 10, 2005
Bay Area
The car that I'm buying has the same problem, but it's an NA. It's idle RPM's are high and when ever you stop it stalls. Diagnose this please?

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i had that same problem on my N/A, and it turned out to be the TPS. try unplugging it, and see if the problem still occurs. with the TPS unplugged, the car will idle around 1k rpm, but it shouldnt stall like that if it's TPS related.

-shaeff

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
Try checking your dashpot, I'm pretty sure thats what it is, just check the TSRM on how to set it up.