Squeaking noise from steering column when moving wheel up and down

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
So I finally got around to pulling the steering column surround and spraying lubricant on all exposed movable parts. It has not improved at all. It's a high chirping squeaking noise heard whenever the wheel is shook or when adjusting up and down. Sounds like a spring. I can see a thin rod that runs from the top rear of the steering wheel and hooks to a plastic tab on the lower left side and hooks to a spring that is barely exposed and goes into the steering shaft covering. Assuming this is the source of the noise, how am I supposed to lubricate it? The noise is driving me nuts. :: angry ::

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
On almost all springs on the Supra you are suppose to have a rubber insert inside them to prevent that kind of noise just like the throttle linkage, door latch mechanism, rear hatch lock spring, ect... . Do you still have that black rubber piece inside that spring? Also what kind of lubricant are you using?

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I don't see why that spring assembly wouldn't be complete as it seems unserviceable due to its location. I used a very heavy aerosol synthetic lubricant as well a thin wd40 type lubricant. I haven't been able to get either on that spring assembly, but then again, these lubricants only come with a 3" sprayer straw for some reason. When I have more time I may try to get it from the back with a longer straw, but seems pretty hopeless.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I chased many many squeaks on my car and every time I thought it was a spring it was something else. With stuff like this you are just going to have to take things apart till you find what's broken.

Plastic parts are the number one culprit, they shrink and crack as they age. Many times the felt anti squeak pads fall off and don't get put back on during reassembly. Secondary to those, fatigue cracked metal parts or loose fasteners. Loose subframe bolts and bad front shocks can cause steering column noise.

Also if your steering column bearings have any play in them it can cause the horn contact ring behind the steering wheel to squeak. I had that on my car and it was horrible. Some lithium grease on the horn contact ring fixed it.