spung or solid hub

bowtiebuba

stangs hate supras
Sep 1, 2005
marion iowa
what kind of hub should i go with on the sport rps 6 puck clutch, i drive the car every day (when it runs) but i want it to grab hard, is there a big diffrence between the 2 hubs in the way they drive how hard they engage and weight?

bowtiebuba

stangs hate supras
Sep 1, 2005
marion iowa
so i should go spung, is there much of a preformance diffrence between the 2? does this clutch chatter alot spung and solid?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
From what i understand is that the sprung is much better for shock on your tranny. I use a sprung clutch.

The advantage to unsprung is like mdc has said, amd I'm going to have to go off of since I don't know a whole lot of people who run them.

bowtiebuba

stangs hate supras
Sep 1, 2005
marion iowa
does the 6 puck spung hub still chatter, with a light weight flywheel, whats the advantage of a puck type disc over a full disk?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
IJ. said:
What causes "Chatter" is the lack of Marcel Wave Springs in between the friction surfaces it has nothing to do with the PP or Flywheel.

or a backward TO bearing...*kicks self in face* DOH!

SilverSoup

Apr 5, 2005
birmingham, al
I've had a unsprung spec stage 4 in my car for about 1 year. I dont find it to harsh and i drive it everyday. I dont get any chattering either, except for in reverse. I think unsprung is great for daily driving IMO.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
bowtiebuba said:
what is it that causes chatter?
In Street clutches you have wavey pieces of steel rivited between the Friction materials these act as a cushion as the clutch grabs so no shudder/chatter.

(Grab a stock clutch disc and squeeze the friction materials and you'll see how far it can compress it acts like you're still slipping the clutch right up till the pedal is about 3/4 out)

In a lot of the High performance Clutches they don't have these as they can be a weak point so the bond/rivit the friction materials directly to the Disc and you get Chatter as the PP/disc/Flywheel engages.

The Sprung Hub is the second line of defence as it cushions the Trans from impact loads.

Other causes for Shudder are usually a contaminated clutch as in oil on the disc or a mechanical issue ie: backwards to bearing /broken diaphram in the PP.