Springs inside of rear brakes

ill Z

Back on the Grind
Mar 18, 2007
USA
Hello,

so let me try to be as descriptive as possible for this, I did a search and came up empty handed so far. There are wishbone looking springs inside the rear brake calipers. They are there for one reason or another, well one broke on me last night while removing the old pads. They look like a real pain in the ass to reinstall as it is. So my question would be, how crucial are these wishbone looking springs? If they are just that serious, I can order new ones, however if I don't need them, I rather just install my new pads/rotors and be done with it.

Also, does anyone know where I can purchase the pads for the E-brake? I've been looking and also came up empty handed on results for these.

Thanks

E

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
They help return the pads away from the rotors after breaking.
Not hard to reinstall, best bet for a new set is the dealer.

E-brake pads can be located from the dealer as well, they cost a pretty penny.

87 Supra

1980 MK1 Supra
Sep 20, 2007
Cincinnati
Piratetip said:
They help return the pads away from the rotors after breaking.
Not hard to reinstall, best bet for a new set is the dealer.

E-brake pads can be located from the dealer as well, they cost a pretty penny.

Can you have them relined? I do that a lot with my 50's cars. Has anyone ever tried that?

ill Z

Back on the Grind
Mar 18, 2007
USA
I am going to have to fined out now where you mention it 87 Supra. I'll be damned to pay high price for an OE part. I'd like to find something aftermarket to aid in drifting if possible.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Finnon said:
try this place. tho the prices are in £

www.brakeparts.co.uk

Wow thanks Finnon, too bad I didn't know about this when I bought my rear pads.
#BSS8240 $35 USD
:icon_evil :icon_evil :icon_evil
Thats a great price.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You need a "brake hardware kit." You can get it at the dealer(might have to buy it by the piece), or most parts stores. It will come with new clips, springs, and bolts.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
bingo ^^

e-brake shoes have very little meat on them to begin with, unless they're down to bare metal, don't bother replacing them...

87 Supra

1980 MK1 Supra
Sep 20, 2007
Cincinnati
I just pulled a set of my parts car. The pads actually fell off the shoes when I pulled the rotors off. I get the feeling these things get overlooked during routine brake maintenance quite often.

ill Z

Back on the Grind
Mar 18, 2007
USA
Sweet, thanks everyone, put the rear pads back together in the mean time without the wishbone springs. This is my temp brake fix(autozone, new pads/rotors/brake bleed). I'd like to pick up the Powerslot rotors and different pads in another 6months to 1 year. I'm trying to get her back on the road and legal again for now. My ebrake pads had between 3 and 4 milimeter of meat on them. The ebrake grabs pretty good and holds great. I'll just leave these pads alone for now and will probably change them out later when i get the powerslot rotors.