springs and shocks

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
i changed my suspension and got rid of the original tems setup. i got the toyota bilsteins with ttr springs. i was wondering if i were to put lowering springs on the bilsteins, would it cause it the blow quick or can they handle it? also, would anyone be interested in a trade for ttr spring for some lowering springs?

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
What rates are the TTR springs? Is the only reason you want to swap them out is to go lower?

If you just want to lower the car and would like some adjustability, I would suggest a spring sleeve setup and good springs. I feel like I'm saying this a lot. But with properly matched springs, the car will handle awesome.

I'm not sure yet, what spring rates will work with the Bilsteins. But based on preliminary analysis, you can use a pretty good range with them and it will work well.

Tim

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
i do not know what the rate if the springs are. i do know that they came off a jza70 so whatever the stock spring rates are, thats what they are. all i want to do is go for the lowered look.i will get sway bars to handle a little better.i do not want to spend 1000+ for coilovers.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
So get lowering springs then. I wasn't telling you to get coilovers, I was suggesting to use spring sleeves with 2.5" ID springs instead of just getting cheap lowering springs. The spring sleeves and better springs will give you height adjustability and allow you to select or have selected for you better rates that will properly balance the car. So then you can add a sway bar if you want to tune the suspension, instead of as a bandaid like it would be with normal lowering springs.

Tim