Springs and Dampers?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
There are a number of factors that would effect which models/brands each of us would recommend. Daily Driver? Exactly how stiff? What shape are the roads you drive on in? Are you planning on upgrading your anti-sway bars?

Give the folks here a little more to go on and they'll gladly help you spend your money. ;)

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
i do plan on upgradeing all that is upgradeable in suspension. and, eventually, i'll be doing a lot of road course racing, slowly but surely. i just want to see what spring and damper combinations are over all best for our heavy cars... aside from going to the coil over route. just weighing my options.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
koni are good, but not as durable as bilsteins...

bilsteins will be the LAST dampeners you buy, you will never replace them because they're wear out (and if they do, they are replaced free)

on second thought, you don't even need springs, just bilsteins since you can lower the car with them...

A-to-the-J

Panda™ and Pre-89 Gracer™
Feb 19, 2006
Anaheim/West Covina, CA
i'd buy some bilsteins, but my car came with eibach/tokico's...i'm shooting straight for coilovers when it comes time to upgrade. i LOVE my combo right now. not too stiff. pretty comfy, i've driven it decently hard. i have a boost leak so i havent really had a chance to really get on it.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Poodles said:
bilsteins will be the LAST dampeners you buy, you will never replace them because they're wear out (and if they do, they are replaced free)

Riiiiiight. If you know someone specific there to deal with PM me the number. I've got a friend who apparently keeps dealing with the wrong rep regarding the siezed damper in his M3.

I'm not saying they're bad, but you can't say that a company will always just swap out a bad damper, but that it doesn't matter because they NEVER fail... Nothing lasts forever and everyone has a bad day.

With that covered, Bilstein has a very good rep (even good companies have their bad days) as far as quality is concerned. Their dampers for our cars are quite stiff and do an excellent job of making sure you feel every bump, rock and pothole in the road. I would pick up a set for a weekend car, but not for my DD.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
CRE said:
Riiiiiight. If you know someone specific there to deal with PM me the number. I've got a friend who apparently keeps dealing with the wrong rep regarding the siezed damper in his M3.

I'm not saying they're bad, but you can't say that a company will always just swap out a bad damper, but that it doesn't matter because they NEVER fail... Nothing lasts forever and everyone has a bad day.

With that covered, Bilstein has a very good rep (even good companies have their bad days) as far as quality is concerned. Their dampers for our cars are quite stiff and do an excellent job of making sure you feel every bump, rock and pothole in the road. I would pick up a set for a weekend car, but not for my DD.

PM me.

Im direct with them. I can help your friend out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've only seen one blown bilstein, and the idiot jumped his truck off a 5' drop and bottom the shock out internally...

I've played with a 100K mile bilstein and it felt the same as the new one out of the box. Don't know ANY company that's anywhere close to that...

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
man how many times do i have to say this KONIS HAVE A LIFETIME WARRANTY TOO

yea bilstein is not the only dampener company in the world that offers a lifetime warranty on their oem replacement shocks wow what a concept

now that im done with that rant consider most people here havent roadraced on eibacs or let alone autocrossed on them here is my experience

i autocrossed on konis and eibacs for about 3 seasons the progressive part of the spring is way way to soft they are pretty bad progresive springs. my friends SI is on spoon progressives and they dont have the inch or two or pure sloppyness

if your wondering how soft the eibacs go they end up being softer than stock at their lowest rate.

now at the road course the eibacs were helped greatly by my st sways which helped them rotate but in harpins the rear would tend to lift (jacking affect) this is slightly due to the dampeners being on 2 instead of 4 but i still feel the springs are to soft mainly in the rear

i actually run spring rubbers in the front of the car to make them stiffer because otherwise in any turn my car rubs fenderliner so honestly go with the stiffest linear spring on the market if not go to this company and order your own rates for the same price

custom coil spring specialties

otherwise just buy megan coilovers cheap and they will work

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
IJ. said:
Why on earth would anyone try and compete on progressive wound springs..... :nono:

It defies logic really.

thats what im telling this guy because everyone is telling him to buy the eibacs

my situation is that i bought the eibacs like 3-4 years ago when i was 16ish and happened not to know better i have something up my sleeve this winter that will explain why i havent changed them starts with koni ends with double adjustable with a side of ground control :evil2:

edi

May 17, 2006
www.pxracing.com
JustAnotherVictim said:
RSR+KYB.
Very nice ride, not too harsh but not all spongy.

how low is the drop? did you get the RSR Down or Race Springs? are the KYB's AGX's or GR2's? can you post up a pic of how your car stands with your set up?

i dont mind a stiff ride as long as the drop isnt too low. there hast to be enough room for complete suspention travel.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Aren't the RSR downs a 600 something lbs spring. Thats way soft too. Its tough to find a good spring / strut combo not due to the lack of struts, but decent springs. I had bilsteins w/ TRD springs= crap. Springs not hard enough, to much body roll. I think if you're going to buy all new struts and a spring set you're going to be pushing the $900 mark, when there, you could just buy Megan's track coils. I got them, best thing i could find for the price. Killer spring rates and their damping is matched well to the spring

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I just installed Koni + Eibach about 2 months ago.
Will be swapping Eibach's for Whitelines as soon as I can.
Would have never bought Eibach's if I knew beforehand they were progressive.
Ah well, live and learn.