Sport Roof Conversion????

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
I know this is an old thread, but i just got me a mk3 with a dealer installed sunroof and I don't have enough headroom...I'm thinking of removing the whole assembly and weld in a piece of metal to over the hole where the sunroof sits. How hard would it be to switch it to the tilt and back sunroof that would give me more head space?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprabad;57506 said:
Has anyone ever converted a hard-top mkiii to sportroof? Surely someone has attempted this before...Right?

Yes, American Sunroof Company has done it thousands of times. At least I think it was ASC. They did all the convertibles also.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Clueless;904794 said:
I'm thinking of removing the whole assembly and weld in a piece of metal to over the hole where the sunroof sits.
Any competant bodyman should be able to do this. It will work best if you can get a roof panel from a wrecker so that the curve matches the factory profile. Also look for a headliner, since this is also going to have been destroyed.

You might also want to consider replacing a larger area, since there will have been screws and other hardware pushed through the roof, and it may have been deformed in order to make the sunroof fit.

I'm surprised about a lack of headroom, though. I have plenty of clearance over my head, and I'm not particularly short. I also have the power seat completely lowered, though. (I presume you've adjusted this?)