Spool, but no boost

Shasta87

Sep 15, 2009
Canton, Georgia
I have an 87 turbo that I am getting back on the road and I have a boost problem. The turbo is in good shape and I can hear it spool up just fine, but it is not generating any boost. I have gone through all of the IC piping and no leaks there. I figure the waste gate is stuck open - any thoughts?

If that is the case, where is a good source for replacement actuators?

thanks,

Shasta87

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Boost leak somewhere? Look at all the hoses, these tend to wear overtime and they create large boost leaks. If it is indeed your actuator you will be able to find a used one on Supramania, for much less then ever findign a new one.

I would first look for the leaks, then go from there.. Just make sure everything is attached correctly, I forgot a few times on my Turbo cars to make sure the intercooler pipes were on all the way.

Aliass

Sep 30, 2009
Brisbane, Queensland
It defiantly could be the waste-gate. I had mine get stuck open apparently the spring was stuck or something. It was fixed by the guy jiggling something around. Mind you this was found on a dyno so it made it alot easier to find the boost leak.

Shasta87

Sep 15, 2009
Canton, Georgia
Aliass;1429011 said:
It defiantly could be the waste-gate. I had mine get stuck open apparently the spring was stuck or something. It was fixed by the guy jiggling something around. Mind you this was found on a dyno so it made it alot easier to find the boost leak.

Hey guys, thanks for all the response, I will try to answer all in this post . . .

-if the spring is stuck open like yours was, is this something I should be able to easily move by hand (i.e. move the WG back and forth, squrt in some WD-40 to free up)?

-as for knowing i have no boost, I have nothing showing on the gauge and an obvious lack of power, I hear the spool and when the WG should shut and get boost nothing happens.

-yeah I realize that I cannot buy actuator from Toyota - they want to sell you the whole turbo. Is there such a thing as an aftermarket actuator for the stock turbo?

- isn't there a way to build your own boost leak test? I couldn't find the thread.

Shasta87

Shasta87

Sep 15, 2009
Canton, Georgia
Aliass;1429746 said:
I have no idea how to fix the wastegate sticking issues. If indeed that is your problem. My mechanic solved it, when it happened to me.

OK, groovy, at least there may be hope in fixing the original. I will continue monkeying with it tomorrow and see what happens . . .

thanks,

Shasta87

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
If the wastegate or the actuator is stuck how easy it will be to fix will depend entirely on HOW it is stuck. If it's a problem with the actuator then you should try moving the linkage which runs from the actuator to the exhaust housing forward. If it moves but is reluctant you might try lubricating it with a good high temp grease, but definitely not WD-40.

If it doesn't move forward at all then try pushing it back toward the cabin. If it moves back about a half inch then it is closing most, if not all, of the way.

It takes a decent amount of effort to move it by hand given the poor leverage, don't expect it to just slide easily.

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
Shasta

Keep in mind that the DIY boost leak detector calls for a 2" to 3" coupler. Since you have a CT-26 you will need a 2" to 2.75" coupler. You won't find that at Lowes or Home Depot. At least I could not, had to order mine through eBay.

Good Luck and keep us posted on what the problem was !