Split-cycle engine

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
it got my attention when it said turbocharger. haha

i dont see how doulbing rotating mass, doubling rotational friction, and just doubling EVERYTHING and then have this big ( or little, not sure) tank of high compressed air for fedding the engine is any better than a conventional engine..

i just dont see how its better than whats avaiable, unless it uses a lot less gas or something.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
interesting concept but there seems to be a flaw in the animation that may or may not be a problem. at the moment of ignition it appears that the intake valve is open which would be problem to say the least with wasted energy.

next they mention about a "disc" valve that would do double duty but there is nothing in the description about it.

over all i think its a cool concept and a neat theory but past that there's still alot of things that need to be ironed out.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
the right side intake valve opens to push the air through that tube lookin thing into the exhaust, really shouldnt be any wasted energy.

i just love the fact they went through all that, and then they threw in the turbo.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
that's pretty cool.

the only sketchy part i noticed right now is the turbo bit where the left cylinder is fed compressed air to help the other cylinder along, but then the upstroke forces that air into the storage tank.... you're loosing energy having to shove it into the storage tank, unless its only a slight amount of resistance while it waits to go into the combustion cylinder. If it was vented to the atmosphere it would not use up energy on the upstroke.
however, as long as the tank isn't used to STORE energy during performance-turbo-mode..(lol) it sounds like a cool idea!

I'd like to see a real one....

and i'd hope that the relief valve system would be reliable. it would suck to blow the tank or cause the compressor cylinder to freeze if the tank got stuck shut :p

think of the possibilities of this though....maybe implement a "turbo" button that would let you apply boost air whenever you needed extra "go" and couldn't otherwise get it from a turbo or naturally aspirated power...]

OR for trail work...you could divert the energy gained from engine braking to an on-board air tank used for airtools and such. OR use the engine as a high-capacity air compressor...for whatever. at the least use it to air up your tires. i'm not really sure there are many needs for air tools on the trail....heh.

oh and a fucking LOUD air horn. just from shits and giggles :p

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Figit090;1052885 said:
that's pretty cool.

the only sketchy part i noticed right now is the turbo bit where the left cylinder is fed compressed air to help the other cylinder along, but then the upstroke forces that air into the storage tank.... you're loosing energy having to shove it into the storage tank, unless its only a slight amount of resistance while it waits to go into the combustion cylinder. If it was vented to the atmosphere it would not use up energy on the upstroke.
however, as long as the tank isn't used to STORE energy during performance-turbo-mode..(lol) it sounds like a cool idea!

I'd like to see a real one....

and i'd hope that the relief valve system would be reliable. it would suck to blow the tank or cause the compressor cylinder to freeze if the tank got stuck shut :p

think of the possibilities of this though....maybe implement a "turbo" button that would let you apply boost air whenever you needed extra "go" and couldn't otherwise get it from a turbo or naturally aspirated power...]

OR for trail work...you could divert the energy gained from engine braking to an on-board air tank used for airtools and such. OR use the engine as a high-capacity air compressor...for whatever. at the least use it to air up your tires. i'm not really sure there are many needs for air tools on the trail....heh.

oh and a fucking LOUD air horn. just from shits and giggles :p

from first hand experience.....there are many many many needs for airtools on trails!!!!! majority of offroad rigs have air tanks and compressors onboard for whatever needs arise.....

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
They dont hit you with any numbers...which mullifies the whole presentation. Its just like a "watch how cool this is" video. I think for that tank to work the way they are saying it would have to be HUGE. And it would be worse if you add in pressurization of the cylinder to boot. The only advantage i can see is that the incoming air never has to interface with the burnt air. I think? And also those wicked connecting rod angles dont look too good either

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Looks pretty brilliant when used in a stationary engine platform. Otherwise, doubling the weight of the engine without really doubling the power capabilities wouldn't do much for the overall effectiveness of it.

Cool idea though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
It will have more power than you think...

It fires on every revolution, much like a two-stroke, that's why they say it's take the 4 stroke engine and making the process into two cylinders.

I agree on the wicked crankshaft angles, I wonder how many rows of these you would need to make the engine balanced...

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
gaboonviper85;1052896 said:
from first hand experience.....there are many many many needs for airtools on trails!!!!! majority of offroad rigs have air tanks and compressors onboard for whatever needs arise.....

Well i knew it was good for the tires but I was having difficulty coming up with things since I dont offroad much and haven't been on yotatech.com in a while:biglaugh:

and yeah....i agree on the crazy angles on those rods. noticed it but i figure that would all get worked out in a real/working engine.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Isphius;1055033 said:
they still dont give you any numbers on "thermal efficiency" and stuff like that so its just a motor with twice the friction and rotating weight. The randcam engine is a very cool design. One that was only 6x6" and ran on diesel made 40hp. Imagine that for a lawnmower!

Cool animation
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1730181/posts

Now THAT is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMdCpFsvRq8

So what do you all think about investing in this company? Good idea?

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
that's pretty cool.

I'm in for both, however much more excited about totally new forms of engine, but both are cool. Won't this HCCI be close to the efficiency of the new rotary?

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
It's not reduncant. What it's doing is taking is taking an ordinary four stroke motor, and running two strokes at a time.

Yes you're doubling up on friction and mass, but you are also doubling the number of power strokes per revolution, doubling power.

With that being said, I can't see it being any more efficient than a 4-stroke.

I still like turbo diesel two strokes for efficiency :)

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
technically... wouldn't the first law of thermo. (not created nor destroyed) mean that this split-cycle engine can only become more efficient if it generates a considerable amount of energy from regenerative braking? anything else would simply be a waste of gas.... i.e running the thing to store air...to be used later... i've forgotten the points of the movie. I know you use engine braking a lot in everyday driving....but not considering that, its just as good or worse than current reciprocating 4 strokes... in my mind, right now...at 12:47 am.

Now if you used the heat from a normal engine and turned that into mechanical energy...THAT would make it more efficient. :) I think that would be great if they had a highly efficient way to collect it...make electricity maybe. Boiling water for steam power sounds a little to costly to mass produce... even though BMW tried it.

i'm not sure what my point is....other than this thing isn't more efficient driving on a level grade.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Figit090;1055813 said:
technically... wouldn't the first law of thermo. (not created nor destroyed) mean that this split-cycle engine can only become more efficient if it generates a considerable amount of energy from regenerative braking?

Yes and no. There are other ways for the engine to become more efficient. The major one is heat, like you said, however I don't see the split-cycle being any better for heat.

There is also beter utilization of the fuel itself. (Think brake specific fuel consumption). I could see the split-cycle being better for fuel mixing, as the air fuel has a longer time to mix.

I would guess that there would be a much better volumetric efficiency as well, as you're feeding super-compressed air/fuel into the 2nd cylinder for ignition.