Speedometer help

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
My speedo has been acting strange the past few days, well today it quit. I pulled the cluster out and saw that the needle on the end that connects to the cluster was broke, it was a green plug. Anyone know what the replacement part is for that? Its a 1990. I looked online and there where so many different cables listed I wasn't sure which I would need. Thanks.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Awesome man. Is it going to hurt anything to wait a week to change it? The car is running and shifting fine, I just have to wait til payday to get it ordered.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Agreed. The 'green plug' is attached to the end of the 'upper' cable. Toyota part 83710-14731. You can get it from DM, an online dealer, or your local dealer.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Advance auto sells a generic replacement cable for 8.99. Anyone had any use with one of these? Today the tranny started acting up and I don't think I can wait 7 more days to get it fixed. Thanks.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
My speedo broke and I got stuck replacing the long cable. I used the DM replacement so I can't comment on the Advance Auto knock-off. I don't see how the speedo cable would affect your transmission though. What kind of problems is the tranny giving?

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
Odd shifts, sometime seems like its not in gear at all. I was reading up on it and that is one of the symptoms of a broken speedometer. Feel this car is cursed sometimes.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Ron Jefferson;1880003 said:
Odd shifts, sometime seems like its not in gear at all. I was reading up on it and that is one of the symptoms of a broken speedometer. Feel this car is cursed sometimes.
That's odd. I drove around with a broken speedo for months on end just because I really didn't care how fast I was going lol I didn't have any problems with my tranny. I had to replace my clutch master cylinder way later down the road, but by that time the speedo had been fixed for a while. All Supras are cursed. You just learn to deal with it haha

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Ron Jefferson;1880005 said:
Well mine is a auto so I'm sure that makes it different lol
What's funny is that at the time mine was auto too lol I swapped the tranny out when I dropped in a 1J and went R154

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
^^Agreed. Couldn't tell you what happened to my auto tranny or what caused it's problems, but it eventually started slipping and the guy that pulled the tranny out for me told me the gears basically melted together into 1 gear o_O Not sure how the hell that happened and I sure it doesn't happen to you. Drop that auto tranny and go R154!!

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
IndigoMKII;1880032 said:
Bit off topic now, but the auto mated to the 7m or 1j would work for me.
Agreed.
**Back on topic**
Ron, I seriously think you should consider swapping the auto for an R154, unless you're a baller and can afford the 6spd. Also, I say try the $9 knock-off cable and see how it holds up. I think the one on driftmotion is like $90 or something. If the $9 cable breaks at least it was only 9 bucks you wasted and you'll have swapped the cables so the second time around should be quicker. Stay positive bro.

Ron Jefferson

Jun 21, 2012
Virginia
I'm going to. Waiting on tax money. The knock off cable worked great:) Basically slides into the factory cable housing, cut to length, crimp the ends on and bam, your in business. Running fine now. Love this forum.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
Ron Jefferson;1880097 said:
I'm going to. Waiting on tax money. The knock off cable worked great:) Basically slides into the factory cable housing, cut to length, crimp the ends on and bam, your in business. Running fine now. Love this forum.
Awesome!!!! Glad to hear it man. How's the tranny holding up? No more problems after cable swap? I still find it odd that the cable would cause issues like you described.