speedo cable

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
Can the speedo cable be making my car idol at 2100 rpm. The codes i have are 42, 52, and 53. I read some where that the vechile speed sensor is in the speed cable. My car just started doing this and the speed cable has not worked for about 2 months. Any ideas

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
As far as idle is concerned, the speedocable on these cars is unrelated to tthe idle.
There are 2 speedo sensors, one @ the dash and there sholod be another at the tranny or front wheel. The on in the dash does need the speedocable for the speed sensor to work.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
alright.. Welll my car is idoling at 2100rmps what can i do to fix that my throttle is not sticking open and the throttle cable is about two months old????

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
dulobast25;1188220 said:
[shaeff edit]
As far as idle is concerned, the speedocable on these cars is unrelated to tthe idle.
There are 2 speedo sensors, one @ the dash and there sholod be another at the tranny or front wheel. The on in the dash does need the speedocable for the speed sensor to work.
[shaeff edit #2]
Thank you.
to clear this up it DOES go to the tranny.. and you shouldnt need to buy a speedo cable.. The speedo cable isnt going to throw any codes if it doesnt work.

Look up what the codes mean, and go from there.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
Nomad707;1188261 said:
to clear this up it DOES go to the tranny.. and you shouldnt need to buy a speedo cable.. The speedo cable isnt going to throw any codes if it doesnt work.

Look up what the codes mean, and go from there.

i understand that it would most likely be the vss thats on the back of the cluster if i am not mistaken. I will be looking into that but the issue i need to fix most is the Idol any ideas on how to fix that????

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
there may be many things wrong, the idle air control valve might be bad, the throttle position sensor may be bad or bad adjustment, the timing may be off, or you may have a vacuum leak.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
Nomad707;1188272 said:
there may be many things wrong, the idle air control valve might be bad, the throttle position sensor may be bad or bad adjustment, the timing may be off, or you may have a vacuum leak.

were is the idle control valve?? and to adjust it its the screw on the top of the throttle body right?? Its just wierd cause it idled fine till sunday. Now i dont really wanna drive it with it idling that high

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
idle control valve is on the intake manifold.. dont adjust your idle manually.. because it isnt that. try unplugging the IAC valve and see if the car changes at all, do the same process with the throttle position sensor.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
the one your refurring to is the the only sensor on the intake right with the coolant lines that run to it?? and i will try unplugging them and starting the car and see if that changes anything

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
agree with everyone above, here. Find out what the codes mean. Try the isc valve and the tp sensors and looks in the tfsm or haynes to diagnose the issue. get yourself a multimeter/circuit tester also. Adjsuting the dile manually is a bandaid only to be tired at last resort but it wont solve the prob.

dulobast25

Jul 14, 2005
San Diego
dulobast25;1188957 said:
agree with everyone above, here. Find out what the codes mean. Try the isc valve and the tp sensors and looks in the tfsm or haynes to diagnose the issue. get yourself a multimeter/circuit tester also. Adjsuting the dile manually is a bandaid only to be tired at last resort but it wont solve the prob.

Alsoscheck the dashpot on the tb to be sure its not stuck or frozen or something snt wedged behind it...

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
dulobast25;1188958 said:
Alsoscheck the dashpot on the tb to be sure its not stuck or frozen or something snt wedged behind it...

what is the dashpot???? and i started the car and un-plugged the throttle position sensor and it did not even phase the car.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
i wanted to update on my status with my car. So far i have done a few different things and nothing seems to be working. I started the car and unplugged the tps and the car did not respond in any way. I was messing with a timing light and heard a rattle back by the egr and sure enough the big bolt that connects the two parts together was loose and off. I fixed that and still nothing what should i try next???

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
utsupraguy1010;1188204 said:
Can the speedo cable be making my car idol at 2100 rpm. The codes i have are 42, 52, and 53. I read some where that the vechile speed sensor is in the speed cable. My car just started doing this and the speed cable has not worked for about 2 months. Any ideas

First things first. Go out to the car, pull the EFI fuse in the engine bay fuse box for one minute. Replace, go drive around. Then re-check codes. Many codes are stored, and could have been fixed already. By doing what I mentioned above, it will solidify what codes you actually have, and thus, what problems you have with the car.

Code 42 said:
Vehicle Speed Sensor Signal
Diagnosis
* No "SPD" signal to ECU for 8 seconds when engine speed is between 2,500RPM and 4,500RPM (7M-GE) or 4,000RPM (7M-GTE) and coolant temp is below 80°C(176°F) and neutral start switch is off.
Trouble Area
* Vehicle speed sensor circuit
* Vehicle speed sensor
* ECU

If your speedometer cable is broken, that's the reason for this code. Find out which section is broken and replace it. Once you do that, your code will disappear.

Code52 said:
Knock Sensor Signal
Diagnosis
* Open or short circuit in knock sensor signal.
Trouble Area
* Knock sensor circuit
* Knock sensor
* ECU
This is due to faulty wiring in the knock sensor circuit. If the code reappears after you've cleared them (as I mentioned above), try the SOGI rewire as seen here:
http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=69

It's imperative that you buy new connectors when you do this to eliminate any possibilities of bad connectors.

Code53 said:
Knock Control Signal in ECU
Diagnosis
* Knock control program faulty.
Trouble Area
* ECU

This one I've never dealt with personally, but hopefully it won't reappear when you clear the codes. If it doesn't, your problem is likely a bad ECU. Maybe jetjock will chime in with his opinion.

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
its actually code 54 i believe. If thats the one about the safety switch and ac something or another how do you get rid of that one. Its a manual??

utsupraguy1010

Apr 13, 2008
utah
so my friend did something he should not have done he adjusted the screw on the top of the throttle body!!! How do i correct that? i got the idle to drop back down the isc had a few wires pulled out of the plug and i had to get a new plug. But he adjusted that and i cant figure out what to do now when i checked the engine light i did not have the knock sensor one. But were can i find out how many turns to take that screw out???