speedo cable: short peice or long peice?

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Toyota gave me a price on both peices... longer peice is 130$ shorter is 16$.. now my question is which peice tends to be the problem the shorter or longer? Im hoping its the smaller peice as i dont wanna spend 140$

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
When mine broke, it was the short piece. I've read about that a few times as well, but I don't recall hearing about the long piece breaking. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
casing said:
Toyota gave me a price on both peices... longer peice is 130$ shorter is 16$.. now my question is which peice tends to be the problem the shorter or longer? Im hoping its the smaller peice as i dont wanna spend 140$

easy solution- FIND OUT.

remove cable from trans. remove shorter cable. verify function.

Sl1dewaysSupra

Destroyer of FWD's
Mar 14, 2006
Colorado
I too had to replace the short one. Not to thread jack but does anyone know how to lube the longer cable. I *think* I saw a thread with this info but I can't seem to find it. At lower speeds(0-15 MPH) the speedo needle is bouncing a little, esp in colder weather.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Sl1dewaysSupra said:
I too had to replace the short one. Not to thread jack but does anyone know how to lube the longer cable. I *think* I saw a thread with this info but I can't seem to find it. At lower speeds(0-15 MPH) the speedo needle is bouncing a little, esp in colder weather.

I know what you're talking about. The thread used a 30W oil, but there is a lube made specifically for speedo cables if you can find it out there. You have to take the cable apart into it's seperate pieces, hang up the top cable. Fix a bottle, or funnel, or something like that to the screw on part and pout the oil in it and let it slowly drain into the cable overnight. Remember to seal the mating surfaces so it doesn't leak out on the sides and to cover it up to keep bugs and shit out of it overnight. You could probably do the same with the bottom portion if you took it out.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I just bought the full cable (both parts) for my Supra and really look foward to putting them in..................NOT

Prices from Toyota are not that bad IMO since you get awesome quality parts that last a long time. :)

Duane

drbowser3

The Doc is in...
Jan 17, 2006
Tampa,FL
My speedo cable broke on my way home from the track last night. Its the long side I am sure, as the short side has only 2000 miles on it. I think when I got wheel hop it came out from behind the heat sheild on the firewall and got too close to my DP which caused it to melt. I got quoted $97 for the long peice.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
my cable was jittering around 30mph. the long piece appeared to be in fine shape, as did the lower portion. i went to my local dealer (through whom i get things at the employee cost because i know them all very well since i buy things there ALL the time)- and i got the entire cable assembly for $100. :)

it took 40 minutes to replace. :) (did it on a lift at the shop my friend works at)

-shaeff

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
We (both Dave aka Grimjack and I) put a full speedo in my Supra today and wasn't that bad at all. It took about 2.5 hours :) If I had the stock set-up, THEN it would be a pita so I am thankful of the Ron R intake :D

Duane

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
^ yeah, i forgot to mention i had set the car up for the install before i got to the lift. so, it probably took me about an hour and fifteen minutes (not inlcuding the beer/lunch break) :)

-shaeff

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
shaeff said:
^ yeah, i forgot to mention i had set the car up for the install before i got to the lift. so, it probably took me about an hour and fifteen minutes (not inlcuding the beer/lunch break) :)

-shaeff

LOL Beer FTW! Well, I have a cage and getting under the dash was a little bit of a pita. Other than that, it wasn't that bad.

Duane