speedo cable question

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I am changing the upper part of the speedo cable (the long piece, with one end that connects to the gauge cluster). My question is how do I get the rubber grommet/boot that seals to the firewall on the "new" speedo cable? The rubber hardly stretches.

On the old cable I messed around trying to figure out how to get it on and pulled the yellow/green plastic assembly (that plugs into the gauge cluster) off the entire cable. Is this how I get the rubber piece on? The only problem is it didn't seem like the plastic piece would go back on after I took it off....

Help?

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
3p141592654 said:
My new cable already had it installed. Are you using a genuine Toyota replacement?

I am using a used one from another supra....

The article deals with a new cable with a new grommet, they just say to trash the grommet but I need to keep it.

Anyone else?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That grommet does not come off. If you buy a new cable it has a new grommet. A used cable seems like a bad idea anyway. My original cable started making noise on a cold day after about 9 years. They wear out.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
it wasn't that hard for me to get it in the hole:naughty:

just feed the cable through from inside the car. pull on the cable from the engine bay and the rubber will pop through and seal.