Speed signal to ECU in a car with electric speed sensor? Looking for tips.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Hi

I have a 1JZ-GTE with oem electronics, and a transmission from a chevy colorado (Aisin MA-5, AR5, whatever you want to call it) which has a 2 wire vehicle speed sensor.

I was planning to get an adjustable electric speedometer, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-3989-Programmable-Speedometer/dp/B00062Z6UG

However, I know the vehicle speed is usually transmitted electronically from the gauge cluster to the ECU, and that the ECU expects a speed input...
What are the chances I can hook the GM rear speed sensor up to that pin on the ECU?

Does it accept a "standard" signal of some number of pulses per mile, or would I need some kind of conversion circuitry?

Does the ECU require a speed signal to work right? What would be the effect of leaving it off?

If the sensor is the wrong number of pulses per mile compared to what the ECU expects, could that create a problem with early speed cut, or anything else along those lines?

Thanks for your help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You would be better off not hooking the speed sensor to the ecu. The ecu will work fine without and if you hook it up you will have speed cut.

With it off when you go past the speed cut speed you will just get a cel that goes away after a key cycle and a stored code for speed sensor.