Speed sensor #1 problem (among others).

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
Okay, I've had my little 1 year break from working on this thing but it's time to get serious about it.

Problem #1 right now is speed sensor #1. From what I've read I was under the impression that this sensor was in the speedometer itself, and since mine was screwed up anyway I changed it out. Still got the error. Okay, swapped in another speedo just in case. Still there. Okay, figured that the cluster housing might have a problem so I swapped it out with a known good speedometer to eliminate that possibility. Still got the speed sensor error.

With those tests out of the way, I'm down to presuming that there's a wiring issue or an ECU issue somewhere in the circuit. That sound like a reasonable presumption to make under the circumstances?

Other possibly associated issues in the cluster are the fuel gauge not working (with brand new sending unit, old one was rusted to junk) and oil pressure gauge with a new sending unit on the engine. How likely is it that wiring issues are causing all three problem in the cluster? I checked through all the dash wiring when I pulled the dash to replace the near-infamous heater core and didn't see any obvious problems, but I could have missed something I suppose.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.