Specific electronic components to cover when steam cleaning?

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
I'll be steam cleaning my engine bay soon cause literally my entire engine is caked with oil. From valve covers to oil pan. Obviously there's a leak, but the only way I can tell where anything's coming from is by cleaning everything off first. I'm wondering what I need to cover up when doing so. So far I have:

My apex'i filter,
CPS,
and I know you're supposed to stay away from the spark plug valley.

Other than that, any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Brady;900228 said:
what kinda steam cleaner do you have? :) i love steam cleaners :p

Wow, I almost thought your reply was gonna be helpful and insightful.:3d_frown: Haha I joke, I joke. No idea what kind I'll be using. A friend of mine has a detailing business and is gonna be able to clean everything for fairly cheap.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A compressed air solvent gun would be a better idea but I've both pressure washed and steamed mine several times over the years without problem. Connectors on the engine are weatherproof unless the seals have been lost. You might want to cover the alternator and induction inlet but it's not really needed. After all the engine lives in a far harsher environment than what a little steam or water will do to it. Warm it up first so any water will cook off and be conscious of where you direct the spray. In other words pay attention. Course if the engine is trashed you might want to cover stuff. Use aluminum foil around connectors and plastic bags where applicable.

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
What he said,:biglaugh: course I haven't been able to find my compressed air thingamagigiwhatchmacallit. I don't even think I own one. Must be nice jetjock.

don't forget to take the plastic bag off the airfilter...don't ask.:3d_frown:

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
jetjock;900242 said:
... In other words pay attention. Course if the engine is trashed you might want to cover stuff. Use aluminum foil around connectors and plastic bags where applicable.

Nope, all my wiring is intact and everything... there's just oil EVERYWHERE.:cry: I'll be sure to pay attention and actually focus on wtf I'm doing. A guy from my church has a spray that apparently seals electrical connections that you may be iffy about when washing your engine. I'm iffy about using the spray at all. Everything that seems to work the best on other cars is also usually what slaughters ours, from what I've read in a lot of threads.

jugodegolf said:
What he said, course I haven't been able to find my compressed air thingamagigiwhatchmacallit. I don't even think I own one. Must be nice jetjock.

don't forget to take the plastic bag off the airfilter...don't ask.

Yeah, I was just thinkin how amazing it must be to have a time-space-continuum-vortex-washer layin around. Well I take it you left the plastic bag on the filter "this one time"... how did that go? lol

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Just take care and it'll be fine. Steam is good but solvent shines where oil and grease is involved. Messy but does a great job. For solvent amble on down to the local hardware store and buy a gallon of kerosene. You'll be smellin' purty for at least a week ;)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
jetjock;900283 said:
Just take care and it'll be fine. Steam is good but solvent shines where oil and grease is involved. Messy but does a great job. For solvent amble on down to the local hardware store and buy a gallon of kerosene. You'll be smellin' purty for at least a week ;)

For my undercarriage and oil pan/transmission, I think I might actually try that out with a rag or wire brush or somethin. Unless that was sarcasm. Then, naturally, I was just kidding and I know kerosene is a stupid idea.:sarcasm: