SPEC st3 clutch not engaging enough

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
I'm having a problem with my clutch.
I can't disengage the clutch when I press the pedal.
There is movement and I can see the disc move away from the flywheel, but the movement is not enough.

The slavecylinder is rebuilt. (just a few days ago)
The mastercylinder is brand new. Bought and installed today.

I have bleed the system several times and I have compressed the slavecylinder by hand to get out the air behind the piston.

I just unbolted the pressure plate to see if I had installed the disc in the right direction, which I had.

A strange thing I noticed was that the rivets that are holding the friction surface to the housing are missing.
They are there on my stock pp at least.

Are those rivets supposed to be there on my spec stage 3 pp?

Last edited:

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I made a new longer rod and that did nothing.

The rivets I was talking about are note the ones holding any end of the straps.
But the rivets are not a problem.

My supra is currently ready to be driven with it's new engine, but I can't since the clutch is not working.
I'm going mad here.

I can't find any leaks, I've bleed the system more times than I can remember and gone through more than a bottle of break fluid.

I was very careful when I assembled the release-hub.

Any thoughts?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
I think that I've found the problem.
When the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor, then the release bearing hub is in contact with the gearbox.
Is it ok to shim the pivot point for the clutch fork?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Here is the clutch pedal pressed to the floor:
IMG_0674-2.jpg

And here it's fully released:
IMG_0685-2.jpg

Does that look like it can't move any further?
Does the release hub seam to be assembled correctly?

What will happen if I shim the pivot point for the clutch fork?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Something else is wrong then. Either the clutch disk is in backwards, or the hub is assembled wrong. Are you sure you assembled it like this?

p1835624_1.jpg

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
That's enough movement to disengage the clutch. Sounds like you've done everything possible to get it to work. Any chance you took a pic of when you unbolted the pressure plate to see if the clutch disc was installed the right way? I remember when I unbolted my PP to see if mine was backwards. I really couldn't see because you can't move the PP back enough to really see if it is or isn't. I even used a long prybar to push the PP back and I still couldn't see. I'm thinking your clutch disc is in backwards. Drop the trans and check it.

I was in the same situation last year and I replaced the clutch master and slave. I bled the hydraulic system to no end. I tried to check to see if the clutch was in backwards through the inspection hole, and couldn't see it. I was at a loss when I finally decided to pull down the trans. The clutch disc was backwards.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Poodles: Yes I believe I assembled it like that. And what I can see now makes me think it's correct. The only thing I can't confirm is the recessed washer and cone washer. What would happen if any of these were in the incorrect direction?

Suprapowaz!: here is a pic of the disc:
IMG_0669-2.jpg

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Poodles: If (F) is the wrong way around, is that enough to make the clutch not fully disengage?
Because I can see the disc move from the FW, but it needs to move just a tiny bit more.

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
What about if the large flat washer with recess (F) in poodles pic is facing the incorrect direction, could it be enough to make the clutch not fully disengage?
Is it even possible to install it in the wrong direction and get the c-clips on?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I'm thinking it might. Years ago I remeber a member having the same issues. His problem ended up being that he didn't put the hub assembly washers in correctly, and that was causing his problem. That thread is very old.

Did you get the flywheel resurfaced by any chance?

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
O It looks like the washer is installed correctly.
The fw is not resurfaced, it checked out.

I have no clue at all, so I think I will pull the gearbox...