speakers?

mattman

Oct 8, 2007
Michigan
:1zhelp: need help!
I just got my first car(1986.5 Supra). Everything is stock including the poor sounding speakers. My idea was to buy new front speakers and buy woofers and subs for the back. The idea is to jsut disconnect the rear speakers and put the woofers and subs in a box.Thats jsut my idea if anyone has a better Idea or thoughts please help me.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
If you just got the car and its your first, the stereo is the last thing I'd throw money at. My advice: save the cash to insure your supra will continue to be reliable.

With that said, the stockers are 4" up front. Try NOT using ANY rear speakers. If you get a wee little sub, you could have a decent soundstage, IMO. Although most kids want to shake the fucking ground with their stereo so you'll probably disregard that last sentence anyway and throw two 12's in the back.

Sorry to be so assumptive. :)

Oh, and welcome!!!! You should love the car. :)

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
mattman said:
:1zhelp: need help!
I just got my first car(1986.5 Supra). Everything is stock including the poor sounding speakers. My idea was to buy new front speakers and buy woofers and subs for the back. The idea is to jsut disconnect the rear speakers and put the woofers and subs in a box.Thats jsut my idea if anyone has a better Idea or thoughts please help me.
I got some 6" speaker mounts for the front off a 92 in the junkyard. It was worth all the work to I have alpine type-r 6" with component tweeters. Out back I went 5.25 type-r but that required some cutting to the oem enclosures. alpine deck and 4 channel amp and it sounds great! No sub for me yet but 1 really high quality 10" sub is all a supra needs! My friend has dual 12" subs and his hatch is quite full.....:icon_roll But please do basic things first...oil changes, plugs wires, good gas, tires, brakes, ect...

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
Sooo why are the rear speakers not needed? just enough sound coming from the fronts? I was just curious i'm really close to having sound in my supra for the first time so... i dont have any idea what sportscar sound is like. heh.

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
LOL plug in subs from the rear speaker wires oh thats good.

And the reason why rear speakers aka "rear fill" isn't needed is because the front speakers should be giving you your complete soundstage. rear speakers should ONLY be there to add some sound for people in the backseat.. but pfff screw them. a properly aimed 2/3 way frontstage will give you all the sound you need, and having overpowering rear speakers will throw off the soundstage.

as for the OP, get a headunit with pre-amp rca outputs for the front and sub. Also, don't EVER base equipment on its max wattage. If you can't find a RMS wattage value for it, don't buy it. Max wattage means jack squat, RMS is the actual power handling of the speaker. With audio, you really do get what you pay for. If you pay 60$ for a set of speakers its goign to be shit.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
^^^^ Correct!! The only reason you will want rear speakers is for rear passengers. I have those on ocassion so I put some good components back there but admittedly my sound stage is faded mostly forward for me the other 90% of the time. Back seat is just an extension of the hatch anyway. :biglaugh:

romaniello

Oct 28, 2005
Sanford, FL
Incorrect.
They are not there just to add sound for the people in the backseat. The quick way to setup rear speakers is to control how much they add to the overall sound; just use your Fader until you distinctively hear the sound coming from the back, then back it down a little.
This way you can hear a difference between having them and not having them without distracting from having a proper front stage.

BTW; I always eliminate rear speakers from all my cars when upgrading the system. It just comes down to preference.

killarb634

Apr 1, 2005
Jersey's here
I suggest getting components for the front put the 4'' in the door and mount the tweeters on the dash. Like they said no rears are needed maybe a 10 in sub in the back that will make it sound great.

Brian

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm glad we have such a small audio section here that we've successfully convinced everyone who reads it to not have rears :)

Anyways, suprarx7nut, I'm going to disagree with what you said about throwing money at a stereo. Personally, I love listening to music while I drive. I can't imagine having a car that didn't have atleast a CD player in it.