Speakers speakers speakers

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
ok ok so the doors and the ones right by the rear seats are ez to get to. the speakers are that is, but how do I get to the farthest ones in the hatch? does any one I don't wanna break anything.

kHaNg

Like FAtHer Like SoN
Apr 17, 2007
Mass
unroll the hatch cover and pop it off ; pop off the speaker grills and GET IN THERE

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
From what i remembered, you will have to take all the interrior hatch trim piece to get to the hatch speakers.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
SupraOfDoom;1016206 said:
You pop the covers off and take out one screw.

It's the other way around ;) Take out one screw and the cover pops off. It has clips that make it snap into place. Getting them out after that is a bitch. You'll need an angled screwdriver (and a lot of patience) or you'll need to remove all the trim to be able to remove the speaker pod it sits in. Not fun.

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
If i were you i would just leave those speakers. I put components in my door and changed the ones by the seat out and it sounds great

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
The wells for the back speakers are so small you can't fit anything worthwhile in there anyway. Get and enclosure and mount a sub in the back and mids and tweeters in the doors. Add a couple of amps, 1 channel for the sub and 2 channel for the front speakers, dial in the electronic crossovers and you're set.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It's really not hard! I've never had any trouble pulling one. Now if you want to pull the rear speaker pods that they drop into, you will have to remove the hatch panels. But just changing speakers, you don't need to do that.

As touched on before, with the way our systems are set up, you don't hear the rears as much as you think. Make sure you have good door speakers, and things will be fine in there.

If you want a really booming set up, you're gonna want something better than anything that will go there.

prism1

prizmosis jones
May 24, 2006
fresno
Its not that bad just remove the rear hatch trim. and yes it is worth it to replace those speakers. It sounds so much cleaner. The sound is projected off the pillars and is shot forward to the passenger and driver seats.

Dustin

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
factory pre91 is 4" front doors and hatch, if you have an 89+ (I think thats the cutoff) then you have rear seat shoulder speakers and those are 3.5". In 91 the doors went to 6.5"

With only slight modification you can fit 5.25" in the hatch and alot of people like to upgrade to the 91-92 door panels and pods that take 6.5's, or you can build your own mounting plate and sqeeze some 5.25" or 6.5" in the pre91 front doors, but they are partially obstructed.

tok

Jun 12, 2008
NJ
i used a heated screwdriver to melt the plastic above the speaker screws to remove the rear 4" speakers.