speaker sizes for '87 supra

Supraman1313

Banned
Mar 23, 2008
Quakertown, Pa
Hey everyone, I was on here the other day and got lost with how many different opions people had about the speaker sizes. A buddy of mine works at a speed shop and he looked up the speaker sizes for my 1987 Supra. The fronts are 4" and the rears are 5-1/4". I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Does anyone know how big I can go in both the front and the back without cutting excessively? Because I got offered 6.5s and 6x9s and I'd like to try to make them work (whether they "fit" or not is a different story...haha)

Thanks,
Larry

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I have 4x6 in the rear. It's all I need back there....fits in the stock shock tower location. I have had 5.25's in the doors but the install was done by the previous owner who cut the metal. I've been told you can install 5.25 without cutting anything.

IIRC the 89+ models were 6" in the doors. Not sure how it was done though. If you are handy, you can make your own pods anyway.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Project's got it right.

Small addemdum though, there are 3.5" speakers in the rear for '89-'92 as well. Toyota labels them "sub-speakers" -- not to be confused with subwoofers.

I'm working on a set of pods to put 6.5" speakers in the doors.

The 91+ cars have an open mount for the 6.5" speakers, using the door as an "enclosure" -- which IMO isn't the right way to do things, but that's how most factory speakers are, so...

If you see the door panels for these, the grille just extends down further, to the bottom of the "arm rest" trim line, instead of to the top. I plan on that same placement for the speaker, but I'll leave the grilles alone.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I just put 6.5's in my 86.5. I used speaker pods from a 91. They are a direct fit. I'm saddened to say that I don't hear much difference in the quality of sound though. In fact I think I lost some bass. What Dan said is correct. I don't think the door should be used as the enclosure. The pods the original 4" came in produced good sound for such little speakers. I should have left well enough alone.

Supraman1313

Banned
Mar 23, 2008
Quakertown, Pa
So what would you guys recommend? I definitly want to go big without having to pay someone to do it. And by all means, I'm no pro. I'd like to get the biggest I can in the doors, put 5.25s in the rear, and build a box for some 6x9s with a sub.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
Using the door as the enclosure is the worst. Building sealed enclosures that fit in the door is much better. Using sealed enclosures and dynamating the door is better still, but for me the best setup is the one I'm currently using. Custom built kick panels.

They are sealed and project the best possible soundstage of any of the arrangements discussed. It's not a project for an amateur however. I would suggest looking into sealing the factory 6.5 pods. I'm not familiar with them so maybe someone else on here can say weather it's do-able or not.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
The way the factory 6.5" pods are made, you can't just seal the backs up, it would end up being way too small.

I'm making my own pods for 6.5" speakers, probably going to start on the plugs for it this weekend. I am considering making more than one set, so that other people could do this as well.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
guys my speakers are all popped and I have an 87 so I was wondering if I were to go out and buy some 4 inch and 5 inch speakers would I be able to simply just put them in and get them working or is there always some sort of custom work required even if you get the same size as stock? It's either that or I let Future Shop do it.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
4" and 5.25" speakers are drop-in. Plug 'em in. turn 'em on.

You may need spacer rings for the front speakers. The stock boxes are really shallow. I just cut up the grilles that came with my 4" speakers. Cheap and easy.

pbasil1

Fully built 1JZ project
Jan 30, 2008
Huntsville,AL
Take a look at my build thread for the components i had to custom fit. They are over sized 6.5" components, so i had to make a larger bracket to compensate for the extra mounting depth these speakers had. But to mount a 6.5" speaker in a pre 89 will require the same work, just not as thick a speaker bracket.

http://www.carforum.net/showthread.php?t=1699

13066.jpg