Speaker recommendation.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I will soon have some 91-92 front speaker pods and was wondering what brand of speakers will fit with little or no modifications. I went on Crutchfield and after inputing the information on type of car it shows no speakers available. I would like to get either Polk or Infinity but was wondering what yall would recommend.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
suprarx7nut said:
Infinity. Reference series if using deck power, Kappa's if you want a really nice speaker and plan on using an amp with them.

If you get the Infinity Reference series, make sure you get the 4Ohm versions... The 2Ohm versions will pull more power out of a headunit/amp, but it can also cause premature failure of units not intended to handle that impedence.

You can't go wrong with either Infinity or Polk, but Polks tend to have larger magnets that may require some cutting / grinding out the back of the pod to fit them properly. From what I've heard, most Infinitys fit with no problem.

Anicrow

Jul 25, 2007
Colorado
I got polk, and they're not that great sounding.

Pretty decent for guitar heavy stuff, but otherwise they're pretty bleh...

I hear they amp decently though.

Anth505

Failte
Apr 8, 2007
Toronto Ontario
I've been using Boston Acoustics 5.25 pro's. They sound incredible and can take a crapload of power.

That said, there are dirrerent price points or categories that speakers fall into. Low, mid or high end. Take the mid range price point for example. All the speakers that fall into that category have to compete with all the other speakers in that category. For that reason they will all be fairly close in quality.

Things to keep in mind are fitment, intended use (amp power or deck power), speaker sensitivity, crossovers, seperates or coaxial, and of course how they sound in the car.

Just a suggestion, but no matter what brand of speaker you end up using, it's a good idea to get a small amount of dynamat and wrap it around the outside of the pod to reduce vibration. Also a little fiberfill or fiberglass insulation inside the pod will usually help with bass response.

Listen to the same music on different types of speakers. Choose one and install it in the car. Make sure you can return them if you don't like them. Remember, everyone's ears are different. Stay with a good brand that sounds good to you.

Good luck !