spark problems with the aem ems.

suprawalt

Oct 10, 2007
seattle
www.suprawalt.com
we just got the aem all wired in with map sensor,ait add gm boost solenoid.ever since we hooked it up the car misses bigtime!i heard when using the stock igniter it doesnt produce enough spark with the aem.if thats the problem can anyone help me out with what they have done for there ignition problems. thank you much. walt

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ignition. If you just got it all wired up, I doubt your mapping is all that dialed...and you don't have to be that far off to make it miss like crazy. The stock setup should be good for 400-ish at least and probably more than that.

What are you doing exactly when it's missing so badly?

suprawalt

Oct 10, 2007
seattle
www.suprawalt.com
turbo joe;1002915 said:
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the ignition. If you just got it all wired up, I doubt your mapping is all that dialed...and you don't have to be that far off to make it miss like crazy. The stock setup should be good for 400-ish at least and probably more than that.

What are you doing exactly when it's missing so badly?
its at a shop getting tuned and they have tried everything.

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
suprawalt;1002859 said:
i heard when using the stock igniter it doesnt produce enough spark with the aem.

I'm assuming it's a 7M? the 2JZ igniter is the one with the "not enough spark" issue because it converts the 2JZ sequential ignition to Waste spark. Therefore AEM recommends using a CDI if planning on upping the boost. The 7M igniter does not have any problems producing spark. It does however misses in the 3K range depending on the ign table. When does it miss? is it in the ~3000 rpm range?

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
I helped with a 7M setup for Bigaaron a while back that you would have sworn was an ignition problem. We scoped it...checked out every possible ignition issue...you name it. It would stumble and stutter very badly when it came into boost. There was no indication that there was anything amiss as far as the lambda or anything...no erratic changes or anything.

In the end, the fuel mapping was just wrong. It had been "tuned" (using that term very loosely) previously by a very well-known import racer/tuner. The map looked like garbage (very chopped-up with peaks and valleys everywhere), but I assumed that he knew what he was doing. In the end, it just needed to be tuned properly. That could be the case with yours as well.

suprawalt

Oct 10, 2007
seattle
www.suprawalt.com
turbogate;1003173 said:
I'm assuming it's a 7M? the 2JZ igniter is the one with the "not enough spark" issue because it converts the 2JZ sequential ignition to Waste spark. Therefore AEM recommends using a CDI if planning on upping the boost. The 7M igniter does not have any problems producing spark. It does however misses in the 3K range depending on the ign table. When does it miss? is it in the ~3000 rpm range?
it misses through the rpm range.

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
suprawalt;1004801 said:
it misses through the rpm range.

Light load or under a lot of boost? Does it miss at idle?

If you want people to try and help, you should really try to be a little more forthcoming. If you just want to vent...then maybe tell us up front and we won't bother. ::shrug:: :)

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
Try going under Setup then to sensors to cam/crank sensor to cam/crank input setup to mag pickups and click on options-mag pickups. Set your Crank H Sens to 1500 rpm and Crank Low Sens to 1400 rpm and then your Cam H Sens to 1500 rpm and Cam Low Sens to 1400 rpm and see if this helps.

Sean