Spark plugs and oil.

timothyphicks02

Nov 13, 2007
florida
I went to change my spark plugs today. when I took out the wires and plugs I noticed there was alot of oil on them. What could this be? the car ran fine befor. Now its sputters a bit maybe miss fire. I changed the cam cover seals wile I was in there. any ideas what this could be? anything I should do?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Probably due to leaky valve covers if the oil was on the OUTSIDE part of the spark plug, as in, the part not threaded into the head.

Did you gap your plugs before putting them in? If so, what did you gap them at?

What plug wires are you using? the old ones? Did you damage them when changing out plugs if they are the ones you had before?

timothyphicks02

Nov 13, 2007
florida
It may have been the valve cover gaskets. I just got done replacing the valve cover seals. so I guess we'll see if its that. and I just bought another supra (the one Im talking about) so I was doing a tune up on it. the plugs did have some on the threaded part. unless it got on there when removing. As for the wires and plugs IDK how old or what kind they are. I have nkg iridiums ang ngk wires to relace the old stuff. I just didnt want to put the new stuff in till I found the problem or replaced everything that could cause one. So I was asking to get any and all answers and info I could befor going any further.

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
I did the same thing over the winter and used the Iridium plugs with NGK wires as well. Since replacing the cam cover seals there hasn't been any oil at all in the center valley. I also put in a Lipp center valley gasket since the stock one was getting rough. Looks good and clean.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
be sure to buy some #6 bolts to replace the crappy philips head screws when you change the valve cover gasket so they can be tightend down good. the stock screws tend to strip very easy and you cant get them tight.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
:werd: buy a valve cover fastner kit, or research the correct size and pitch yourself and buy some better fastners or you'll be right back where you are now with the oil leak.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
m6 is the thread size AND pitch. it is a machine screw. tell the bolt supply you need 12 ss ms allen head cap screws 25mm long and 12 small washers.

you can see them in this pic. i installed them on the replacement 7mgte i put in my 84 mk2

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
when you take out the spark plugs... make sure to check the gap. often times when you get them from the store, they claim they are pre gapped. they most often arent pre-gapped for our car.
-pete

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
they arnt pregapped for any car. i worked at autozone right after hs and i used to check them for people. it was extreamly rare they would be the correct gap.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
williamb82;998669 said:
they arnt pregapped for any car. i worked at autozone right after hs and i used to check them for people. it was extreamly rare they would be the correct gap.

tell that to your buddies who say otherwise.... ive fought with many autozone employees around my area who claim they come pre-gapped, so i pulled out that stupid little keychain feeler gauge they sell to prove them wrong. i fell for it once before in life.... never again