Spark plug valley questions

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
My spark plug valley plate looked like crap so I steam cleaned it. I am thinking about bead blasting it and painting it. I read somewhere something about a spark plug valley gasket but that didnt come with my head set from toyota. Is it nessary? I noticed that the plate has a plastic coating on it but it is chipping off. Should I bead blast it?
Thanks

Red92Turbo

1of1193
Nov 26, 2007
Trenton
When I did mine, the center gasket was all messed up as well. Someone recomended the LIPP center gasket. It is stainless steel and you can get it either brushed or polished. Looks sharp (what you actually see...) and it is very sturdy. Suprasport.com

Good luck.

thebuddrik

Jun 2, 2007
Lafayette ,La.
Red92Turbo;1001703 said:
When I did mine, the center gasket was all messed up as well. Someone recomended the LIPP center gasket. It is stainless steel and you can get it either brushed or polished. Looks sharp (what you actually see...) and it is very sturdy. Suprasport.com

Good luck.

I looked at those, they look good. For now I am not needing something like that, I just want to clean it up. I was wondering if it will fit properly if I blast off all of that coating.

noah89t

get naked & boost a supra
thebuddrik;1001709 said:
I looked at those, they look good. For now I am not needing something like that, I just want to clean it up. I was wondering if it will fit properly if I blast off all of that coating.

you do need something like that if you didn't get the gasket in your kit. it is cheap and looks good, although when on the car, it does get dirty and why would you not want it there to protect whats underneath? not to mention, it holds your plug wires.
p1001799_1.jpg

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Poodles;1002597 said:
the stock one actually acts as the seal for the oil galley plugs in the head...

oh yes, there'll be a lot of oil sloshin around in your valley if you dont have that sealed. i took mine off, cleaned it up and put of bead of good rtv on the sealing points. works fine

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Where in my post did I say "they aren't needed"?

I said you are a wimp in my eyes if you use one, that's all buddy!

Toyota put them there because they are retards.

Still haven't figured out why the plugs are there in the first place. Casting purposes? Hello? The head was cast in the 80's not the 20's.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
My questions is, does it have to be there? My cousin's took his off because it it caught between the valve covers and leaked oil everywhere in the valley. So he used new valve cover gaskets and FIPG lo seal the valve covers and got rid of the piece and there has been no oil leaking since. His car works fine and to me it looks more clean, you can see the sparkplug tube easier.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
The no.3 cylinder head cover does not have to be there.

But the no.3 cylinder head cover bolts need to be sealed if the no.3 cylinder head cover is not there.

You can use o-rings, drain plug gaskets, or FIPG.

It would be a good idea to use the spark plug wire holders to keep the wires separated.

Some will argue that it keeps junk out of the spark plug valley. I argue that it lets you keep a good eye on what's going on down there. Personally, I've had more stuff in my spark plug valley with it on than with it off. I've picked out about 3 leaves in 3 years so far.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Poodles;1003417 said:
suuuuuuure

that's why toyota put them there, becuase they aren't needed :hsugh:

I haven't had one for years. other than organizing the plug wires they are useless as far as im concerned.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Keep in mind that they design the engines to be sealed from idiots that go to a car wash and hose down their engine.

If it's not worn out (and most are), it will seal that area from said idiots.

Yes, the plugs are there for casting purposes, and are in most modern heads as well...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Poodles;1004150 said:
Keep in mind that they design the engines to be sealed from idiots that go to a car wash and hose down their engine.

If it's not worn out (and most are), it will seal that area from said idiots.

Yes, the plugs are there for casting purposes, and are in most modern heads as well...

That is true im sure they had to put something there to keep out debris and water. They had good intentions at least lol. Ive bought a new one before it dried out and was useless pretty quick so I never bought one again.